Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe power level

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe power level

First, I have done searches for every phrase I could think of and looked through the FAQ sections, but I didn't see anything like this question, though I'm sure it's out there somewhere. If this is a repeat post/question, PLEASE point me to it. Thanks!!

OK, here we go....I am in the process of building an LS1 based 427, using an LPE prepped, Darton sleeved LS1 block. My question is, how much power can I safely make with this block? Some articles I have read say the stock main caps limit you to just over 600 at the crank, yet I have seen lots of boosted LS1's on here and other sites, making a lot more than that. I have also had someone recalling reading where the cylinder walls are too close together after the sleeving process, to make big power. On one hand, I'm concerned that I might have to rethink my project, but on the other, I can't see LPE selling a block that can't safely make the amount of power one would reasonably expect to make from it. Specifically, I think an LS1 based 427, using L92 heads, L76 intake, and all the other goodies(my combo) could make 650 N/A, without going too radical with the cam. I can't see LPE selling you a block with this kind of potential, then saying "you can't use it". Does anyone know of anybody running an LS1 based 427? If so, how much are they making?

Please help!!

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Bueller? Anybody?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

look in the ls2 section