Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 98' knock sensors

I was in the process of tearing down my motor and got a peak at my knock sensors and wow, they look pretty bad-lots of rust and corrosion. So I looked into replacing them and noticed a few people saying that the 98' knock sensors and harness weren't the greatest and could be swapped out with a newer sensor and harness.... is this true? Do you guys think I should swap them out? The sensors are about $29 a piece and the harness is $21.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the infamous 3.9 KR no matter what on my stock '98 sensors. I actually replaced the sensors with brand new '98 sensors and that solved the problem. The problem isn't necessarily with the sensors, it's with water getting under the intake and causing the corroding problems you've discovered. There was a GM bulletin out on how to build up a dam with silicone before reinstalling the intake that was supposed to take care of the problem of the water gettting to the sensors.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem... I replaced my knock sensors and put some silicone sealant over the boots to keep it from happening again...

it's the blue stuff