Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whos the best to go with

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos the best to go with

Now this is going to sound funny, but im looking or the best product at a decent cost. I dont need top of the line race, but I would like something a little better than stock. I am thinking of doing either FI or No2 later down the road and I want a dependable bottom end.
Need.

Pistons
Crank
Rods
Bearings

the engine is completely apart, so i figured this a good time, I have looked all over this site and i cant come up with the right answer. Is there a sponsor that give a good deal, or is it pretty much buyer preferance. Is the summit forged stuff just as good?
Whats the standard bore for a stock 98 Z-28?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard bore is 3.898, max hone reccomended is .004". You'll want to decide now whether you're going FI or n2O as that choice will dictate which pistons you end up with and what compression ratio. Forged crank is a waste of money unless you planning on making some serious power like north of 800rwhp.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to mention, you'll want to have the pistons and rods in hand before taking the block to be machine. Just FYI.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

I think im leaning heavy to NO2, power on demand but not all the time. And I am not sure i want to dore it out anymore, ust leave it stock size. Dont want to thin the walls to much. So lets say NO2.
So no forged Crank, but what about pistions and rods, i want something stong, i dont want to have to worry that in 100,000 i break, bend, or blow out.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well n2o puts the crank under more stress than say a turbo, but adding a forged piece to the parts list will up the total build cost substantially. And there's no getting around having to hone the block during a rebuild. What will the top end of your build up look like, and what compression ratio are you looking to hit?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Top end is already built, though my budy doesnt remember what intake manifold it had but its a ram air, the hood i functional. As for compression, I am not sure, i was going to go stock, I am not really looking to make a killer race car, just a daily driver with a little kick when i need it. I guess I am still trying to learn about these cars, I have read alot, but still am new to the LS1. I have more knowledge on a 350 Carbed, but still nothing on compression. I have to order a new crank anyhow, the one that is in there has a small dig in it. So i figured seeing as I have to replace it, but if i dont need forged then cool.
Whats a good compression to run with. Again not looking for a huge jump in performance, just a reliable built car to last.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A good street compression to shoot for would be 11:1, but it really depends on you. Eagle makes the most afforable crank, although based on what you want you could find a stock one in the for sale section for half nothing. Mahle pistons and eagle rods would do the trick, but you'll be best off talking to a few reputable shops or a machine shop so you don't wind up with a bunch of miss matched parts.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Banned

We are actually having a sale on K1 Technologies balanced rotating assemblies. Here is the link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=weber

If you need the block machined and assembled, let me know and I can get you some pricing.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thats a good price but I am looking at around 400rwhp and not much more, so that might be a bit large for me though I might look into jsut pistons and rods from you. I am not jumping on this right away got to wait till taxes, but I was just checking the market and trying to get an idea of what I needed to know.
Ill PM you when I am ready to order thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your goal is 400rwhp I wouldn't even bother with rods either... Stock rods should be good to about 500rwhp.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

So i can stay stock all the way around, aside from pistions then? I sorry if i keep repeating myself, but I just want to make sure that I am doing the best thing i dont want to have to buy a new engine in 3-6 months from DD you know.