Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Headers..Are they all the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Stainless Headers..Are they all the same?

I own a 99 Z-28 and are getting ready to order some long-tube headers. I want to go with stainless steel but not sure which brand. Price doesn't matter but whats the difference between the SLP Kooks ARH etc. which is best or are they the same?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Go with Kooks I have QTPs on my car now but if I had the money I'd go with kooks. Dont even consider SLPs there junk.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

I just got myself a set of QTP's and I will be fabbing up a custom Stainless Y-pipe. I like the QTP design over the Kooks personally... Ive seen too many of the Kooks hang just a bit too low and the power difference between the two designs is going to be miniscule. I like the fact that the QTP's use a high velocity merge collector also, which most people underrate the effectiveness of such a design.

ARH, Kooks and QTP's are all in the same ballpark. My personal choice for a bolt on or H/C car is the QTP's. YMMV though.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SVTHuh My car put down 349hp/366tq with a few bolt ons and QTPs
Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default slp headder

slp has a new design header supose to tuck under tight a 2 different style best ck them out .
Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about XS (LLM?) stainless steel
Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

I would honestly say that while XS has a great budget header design, and they look great, I would have to say that XS falls behind a bit in the actual performance engineering aspect of it all.

The OP stated that money isnt a concern so, with that being said, In my book, the QTP's would be first choice, Kooks second Dynatech third and ARH fourth... All other stainless headers on the market wouldnt even be on my list such as the Hookers or the SLP's.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO American Racing and Kooks headers are two of the better headers on the market. The AR y pipe is what made me go with them over the Kooks.

I've heard nothing but good things about it and it has a great merge.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to do a custom y-pipe or true duals, then the QTP's should be at the top of your list along with the Kooks and the AR.

The QTP's have my vote as the High Velocity Merge Collectors do work. I pulled 349HP and 360ft/lb of torque after my header + catted/muffler/out the back true duals. A gain of 43HP and 35ft/lb of torque for me.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help so far guys but has anyone heard about the Stainless Works long-tubes. Other then the ones we already mentioned I think that's the only headers I haven't heard anything about. So far it's either QTP or Kooks. If this helps I have no cats on the car and a american thunder cat-back.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

WS6 store has some good pricing on QTPs right now... http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1183
Old 01-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Banned

Wow... that is a great deal on QTP's... That would be the route I would go if I were you.

I have mine on the way already, but I got em used, and only for $79 cheaper than they are new from WS6store.com I feel jipped... lol.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVTHuh
Wow... that is a great deal on QTP's... That would be the route I would go if I were you.

I have mine on the way already, but I got em used, and only for $79 cheaper than they are new from WS6store.com I feel jipped... lol.
Yah, If i was smart I would've waited for a deal like that instead of going with Pacesetters. I would've broken about even with less time swapping headers/gaskets (stupid paper POS's). And now, some tuners are preaching that coated headers induce knock (mine HATES timing too)... boo. For anyone wondering about coated vs stainless, do it right the first time. Buy stainless.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Yah, If i was smart I would've waited for a deal like that instead of going with Pacesetters. I would've broken about even with less time swapping headers/gaskets (stupid paper POS's). And now, some tuners are preaching that coated headers induce knock (mine HATES timing too)... boo. For anyone wondering about coated vs stainless, do it right the first time. Buy stainless.
I dont see how coated headers would possibly introduce knock... I mean, keeping the heat in the combustion chamber reduces knock and makes the combustion process more efficient, hence all the fancy piston/chamber/valve coatings, not to mention the real fancy stuff like inconell valves and such. Its all about heat management that adds to efficiency, and coated headers should add to that heat management.

I dunno... It just doesnt make sense to me. I dont mean to hijack the thread, but do you have more info on this?

Also, I know you made it to LVinvasion, I was wondering if your going to be able to make it to the festivities for the Los Angeles invasion. Let me know!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Dont even consider SLPs there junk.

I wouldn't go that far. Yes the ground clearence is probably the worst of any header out there but the actual performance and construction is good.

Originally Posted by billyb
slp has a new design header supose to tuck under tight a 2 different style best ck them out .
I saw Dave posted about in the sponsor showcase. Can't wait to see these. If indeed they have fixed the ground clearence issues I may be getting a set.

Originally Posted by GTObsessor

Pacesetters are one of the best values for the money hands down and the fact you decided to utilize a poor choice in gaskets is nobody's fault but your own.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In NO particular order....

QTP
ARH
KooK
Dynatech
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

I have xs headers and y pipe on mine and on a weak tune made 395hp during the middle of the summer in a insanely hot shop. So they by all mean flow just fine and the price is more than fine!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ARH's, and love them. I wouldnt use anything else. I have considered Kooks, but they dont have a good Y and niether does QTP. ARH's setup rocks and the Y is full stainless. They tuck VERY well and make damn good power. Do it once do it right, and go stainless.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go ARH all the way. If you feel like PMing me ill ill explain to you why i prefer these over anything.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

What about FLP headers, i have not heard anything about them in a long time but i really liked the v-band connections?