Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback or Muffler only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catback or Muffler only?

Im down to using either the magnaflow or hooker exhaust, but I need to know whether I should get the full catback system or just the muffler and reuse stock pipes. How much hp difference is there between the stock 2 3/4" pipe compared to the 3" that comes in the catback. Will I end up regretting not getting the catback?

I didn't mention it, but this is a budget car, so that's what is sparking the interest in the muffler only setup. The money I save from going muffler only can be used towards other goodies.

Almost forgot to mention, as you can see in my sig, I already have a cutout installed in the factory I-pipe, so to reinstall the cutout in the catback would be an added expense.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Catback or Muffler only?

Personally, I'd go muffler only. The way I look at it, with the stock y-pipe and its flat sections and crappy bends, you're probably not going to improve flow that much with just an intermediate pipe. Just my $.02
Old 07-09-2003, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

That's probably what I'll do. I agree with your reasoning plus if I am ever after max power, I can uncap my cutout. I was just going to forget about a new muffler and leave the cutout open full time, but with my long commutes, I would have gone crazy from the drone at highway speeds.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, you won't notice any gain with the 3" pipe. I took off my stock 2 3/4" pipe and went with the 3" catback (Hooker) and didn't really gain anything but better sound with the Hooker muffler (sounds good). Note: Hooker muffler has a 3 bolt flange at inlet so it won't be a direct bolt on.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I am in the same situation as you about the muffler or the cat back. And also somewhat like you, I have debated between a hooker catback and or a Borla. Money being the biggest factor. I talked to a bunch of different people in hear and other places. Some say as Nighthawk do but most agree that you WILL notice the difference in the higher rpm's area. The Hooker muffler is a franklin but the complete catback is 3 franklins. You also need to consider the "mental" factor that you will also have in knowing that you done all you could with the funds that you have. I have heard that you can gain up to 20 rwhp depending on the application. Seems like a pretty good payoff for a few franklins.
I am stuck between a new hooker catback and I found a used Borla....decisions, decisions.
Good luck.......
my .02
Old 07-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Teching In

the hooker aerochamber muffler ( the one used in the catback) sounds great and for your useage i say swap out the muffler and uncap the cutout when power is needed
my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2003, 09:41 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a 3 inch 2-chamber flowmaster on the stock pipe with a single 3 inch outlet on driver side. Picked up about 5 hundredths in the 1/4 and MUCH cheaper for a $50 muffler than a $300 system. My $.02

Derek