Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

I'm going to be gettin my car painted shortly, i will be doing the prep work myself. I wanna have the black part of roof painted to match the car, ''part that is in between rear hatch and t-tops''. My question is... do i have to do anything special to it for the paint to stick?, or can i just scuff it up and it will be fine?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

your best bet is just to let the body shop do all the work. I just had mine painted and I used 600 grit all over and the painter told me that it would have been cheaper if I had left it alone. It just makes more work for them.

just my .02 cents
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you know what you are doing, doing the work yourself and taking the time to do it right vs the shop's possibility of half assing it because the car isnt theirs. i would choose preping it myself. That piece is painted just like the rest of the car prep it with 600grt wet.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Unless you personally know the shop owners, doing the prep yourself won't save you much. Any painter that takes pride in their work will want to do the prep work to their specs. We've had guys come into the shop having already "prepped" their vehicles, and it was a bigger PITA than if I were to prep it from the get go. Now removing all the parts yourself (door handles, bumpers, spoiler, etc) will save you some change for sure.

As for your question, 600 or 800 grit will be fine, unless it's bubbled

Quick Reply: Paint