Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Foam Pad Maintenance?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foam Pad Maintenance?...

I just ordered some Pinnacle XMT-3 XMT-2 XMT-1 and the corresponding Orange-White-and Grey Foam Pads...My question is....what do you guys like to use to condition your pads prior to application?....And what do you use to clean the pads when finished?
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I use meguiar's car wash. Just don't ever use dawn soap or dishwashing soap. If you drop it, I'd almost tell you to throw it away. Make sure it is contaminate and dust free. Keep them stored in a bag.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Good tip on keeping them in a bag. So I need to use something like car wash soap to "prep" the pads too...or just to clean it? See, they sell some kind of "pad conditioner" to spray on the pad before use so you arent "dry buffing" at all at first. I assume that spray is just a detail mist, or very light soap/water solution...Whats everyone else think?..
Old 02-04-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

To condition or prime the pad, use either a little distilled water, or a spray of whatever quick detailing spray is made by the company whose polish you are using.

Only try to clean your pads after they are totally dry. To wash my pads, I use a small, quarter sized amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, and work it in by hand, under running water. Once I have it clean and well rinsed, I will blot it dry, then I will attach it to my rotary, and give it a quick spin at 1000 rpm while holding it own in a 5 gal bucket to catch the sling. (I do this part outside, since I like being married)

then I sit them out in the kitchen table on clean MF towels to allow them to totally dry, then I put them in my cabinet in the garage.

If you are going to put them in ziplock bags, make sure they are 110% dry prior to closing them up, or they will mildew.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have been selling and using Lake Country pads for more than 2 years now.

As confirmed by Eric at Lake Country, these pads can be washed in the washing machine. Right now I am using the CCS style 6.5" pads for my detailing purposes.

After completion of the detail project, I have washed them together will all microfibers used in the washing machine on the hot water cycle and liquid detergent. The felt backing has never separated from the foam during this time period. The adhesive used is not heat activated on the pads. During the cold water rinse cycle, I will add 1 Tablespoon of distilled white vinegar for each item. This will also help to remove the remaining soap suds from the fabrics and foams.

Once the spin cycle is completed, I will allow them to air dry on the wire rack.

The distilled water is a good pad primer as it will not stain or streak the surface when it dries.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If my wife caught me washing my pads in the washing machine, I would be singing Soprano ..

I have a hard enough time getting her to let me wash my towels ..

I may have to just out a machine in the garage. Nice to know you haven't had issues with the Lake pads in the machine.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I also wash mine in the washer, but I put them in a mesh lingerie bag before I do. This keeps them from getting caught on the agitator. Once they're done with the spin cycle, I lay them flat to dry, then put them in plastic bags.

-Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gipraw
If my wife caught me washing my pads in the washing machine, I would be singing Soprano ..

I have a hard enough time getting her to let me wash my towels ..

I may have to just out a machine in the garage. Nice to know you haven't had issues with the Lake pads in the machine.
What I didn't mention earlier, I also had to pay a small price starting several years ago for the privilege of using the washing machine for microfibers and pads.

2 words: Clorox Wipes.

The distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle helps to reduce or eliminate the soap scum and product residues from sticking to the insides of the tub. A quick wipe down with the wipes after use and world is perfect again.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
What I didn't mention earlier, I also had to pay a small price starting several years ago for the privilege of using the washing machine for microfibers and pads.

2 words: Clorox Wipes.

The distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle helps to reduce or eliminate the soap scum and product residues from sticking to the insides of the tub. A quick wipe down with the wipes after use and world is perfect again.
I'll have to give that a try one day when the wife is out shopping.

Quick Reply: Foam Pad Maintenance?...