Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer for LS engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer for LS engine swap

First off I'm going to apologize because this is going to be a lengthy post.

So after being out of the car hobby for the past couple of years due to finances I've come to a point where I need to make a decision to sell 58 Chevy truck or to get it going again. My girlfriend's job is going to require about a 120 mile commute and she's taking my current ride (95 Taurus).

My problem is mostly the motor in the truck. It's an old school build 292 (283 .60 over) with a solid cam and gets horrible mileage, 8mpg freeway!
Basically I'm considering going with an LS motor swap. I saw the bolt on kit advertised from musclerods and how cheap and simple this swap looked. This is only the 3rd time I've worked on an engine as I've had the 283 apart twice to change things here and there when money was available. How much more different is the LS compared to the old sb? Also I'm thinking of going with the carbed intake and was wondering what am I getting into setting this up? I have some people that can help me, but they're all old school guys especially my dad. Also if you can point me to laces selling headers and some other parts I may need that would be great!

The truck it's self is mostly stock. Suspension is leaf on all corners, with the front being straight axle. The transmission is a Tremec TKO 5-Speed and the rear end is a Ford 9" with 4.11's and a detroit locker. The truck also has manual steering and brakes and no A/C so I need a pulley set up for just alternator. Also this has to be pretty budget minded. The only thing I'm curious is if the motor/headers will clear the stock manual steering box as this was a problem with the current set of headers.

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum! If you do some searches on "truck" you should find some folks that have done similar swaps. Also read the stickys at the top of the forum. I recall seeing several 50s-60s vintage truck projects. I think a 5.3 swap would be perfect for your application. They are plentiful and relatively cheap. After doing research you can post your specific questions. I'm sure the helpful folks here will be able to give you some good advice. The main challenges will be fuel delivery, wiring and exhaust. Mounting the motor is actually pretty easy. All these things can be overcome though.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted and we love pictures!

Pat
Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Listen to Pat.. I would try to encourge you to use the EFI.. great gas mileage if you do.. you will be able to use your TKO trans.. but will just need to get the correct fly wheel and clutch setup. I am getting 23+ on the freeway with my 4.11's and with the T56.

I just saw a add in Craigslist for a 4.8 for $400.. 5.3L are not that much more and there are a lot of them around now. Swap are getting to be very common with these engine and trans now. You should be able to research and plan out what you need on this forum.

As far as your budget.. many will tell you that it will take $6-10K to do it. But if you go with a 4.8 or 5.3, that will cut the cost down a lot. Try and pick up one with All of the Accessories, If you fab up your mounts and other stuff yourself.. then it can be done on a budget and the only added cost of doing EFI is the upgrade of the system for it.. Else a engine is a engine as far as mounting it. I fab'd up my own plated for $10 of metal and a few hours in the shop with some normal hand tools (cutting wheels, grinder, drill and tap). Being a truck, almost any header will work out, block hugger or mid's in the F-body setups might work out best as they exit near the rear.

Pat.. Are you ready for HAN this year.. I hope we get a better turn out at the A&W..!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! I've just finished collecting all the little parts for my project so I'm one step ahead of you plus my motor is finished. Anyway I found your engine swap kit while looking for a transmisison cross member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...2em118Q2el1247

The same intake I'm using. This has the Edelbrock ignition system. It allows you to use the factory distributorless system. It using the cam and crank sensors to determine engine timing and fires through the factory 8 coil system. It has 6 'pills' with preset timing curves that you can use. The intake is $285 by itself

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku

I am using that intake with the MSD box. The MSD box is basically the same but allowes you to program you own timing curves based on the MAP sensor

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I am running the same setup as you. Swapped to manual box and all as well. It uses the factory waterpump tensioner, and the factory alternator. This setup is of course used with the Fbody (camaro/firebird) accessory setup. The vette and truck setups will all be different.

I'm not sure what headers will fit as I'm not too familiar with really any truck engine bays. It would be pretty awesome if you swapped a duaramax/allison in that thing. I get 17-18mpg in mine and 15mpg while towing 12,000lb+ but again that engine and trans is somewhere around $8,000.

I would encourage the EFI as well but I'm an old school young guy who likes his carburetors for simplicity and greater fuel atomization. FYI i got my complete LS1 for $710 with intake and wiring harness and all. Was hit in the oil pan but other than that perfectly fine. from a 1999 Z28 supposedly with 60k. Turns out its an 01 though. Sold all the EFI stuff and some accessories and ended up only having paid $200 for the longblock. Ebay is a good place to find good deals.

Last edited by Shawn MacAnanny; 11-09-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone thanks for the help so far!

So I've determined to go with the LS swap. What engine I end up with depends on what deal I can get and the cash I have when the time comes. Most likely a 5.3L or a 6.0L.

I have few things do to do before I actually start. One is disc brakes up front ( found a kit on speedway motors to put discs on the straight axle :p )Then I need to pull the Tremec and check things out. I read something in a post about something being too short with the TKO 600 5 Speed? That is what I have. Also I currently have the stock bellhousing on the truck but also have a lakewood scattersheild. Would one work out better than the other for me? Also what about flywheels and clutch?

Quick Reply: First timer for LS engine swap