Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring rate and ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring rate and ??

What is the pro and con on useing Progressive springs vs Linar spring.
this is what i have

Frt. 548
Rear. 180-230
Or
Frt. 325-630
Rear. 95-160
I have revalved Bilsteins on the car. Its a 99 SS that is used for some HPDE and a few TT a year. Getting Konis is not a option unless you want to trade for what i have. I am getting Sam Strano Sways in the spring.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The front set would be better for handling, out of the two you listed. Progressive rates can feel a bit unpredictable, as the rate changes, and therefore the front/rear balance changes depending on how hard you push the car.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

He and I have had this discussion at least 3 times over the years..... While I don't recall the name, I'm sure this is the gentleman who runs Redline events from the DC area, and tracks @ Summit Point.

My opinion is now what it was then. I think the LG rear springs are too stiff period. Especially when Koni's are not an option. And I'm pretty sure I never did revalves for him, and wonder just what shocks are on the car that makes him think they are revalves. And if indeed someone did revalve them, what did they do to them? It's rhetorical, I don't really think I can help him because I've tried. Also swaybars are part of the suspension and add wheel rate as do springs, but in a different manner. Can't ignore bars as part of the setup either.

I'll take this time to point out how I made GMHTP's car over 3 seconds a lap faster on street tires, and it was almost 7 seconds per lap quicker on some R-comps on a 1.3 mile track in New Jersey. Driver is the Editor of the magazine and he had been through Bondurant, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Sam, yes we have spoken before on the phone but i dont think its fair for me to call you and take up 2 hours of your time to explain things to me. IE> "Also swaybars are part of the suspension and add wheel rate as do springs, but in a different manner." See that has me lost.
If you explaind that to me on the phone i would just agree with you and get off the phone even more lost then before.
Sorry but i can soak things up better reading it. Also parts and money is a limit. I was thinking and asking it i can do LG frt and the other springs rear. Or the other way around. Well i bought these shocks off a LS1tech member who said they were revalved. So how much would you charge for me to send them to you and be revalved/checked??
Sam i dont doubt your skills, i know what you have done and respect that. So i thank you for your time and help. It is that reason why i will be buying parts from you.

Quick Reply: Spring rate and ??