Sponsored by:

97 Vette Cam Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Vette Cam Position Sensor

Hey everybody

My friend has a 97 Vette. He barely drives it (garage queen) but is planning on taking it out more this year. He's extremely non-mechanical and takes it straight to the dealer any time it needs work (like to put air in the tires- lol)

The car is throwing cam position sensor codes and the dealer wants $1000 to fix it The dealer says the intake has to come off, which is how theyre justifying the cost of the repair I'm sure... They told him, Quote "we gotta tear apart the top of the motor blah blah blah...."

Did some searching on this subject just now and I can see this is a relatively easy swap but I could not determine if the intake has to come off to change this sensor on a Vette. I know on an F-Body it has to be pulled.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

1000 DOLLARS? Even a low experience tech with a sears socket kit and a set of pliers can get that intake off! I think he's gettin the shaft! To answer you question, yes the intake must be removed. Alldata shows 2.1 hours total labor for that job. So, unless that dealers labor rate is 400 dollars an hour, there a little high. I live in iowa and i'd drive there to fix it for that much! lol.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, $1000... can you believe that?