General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

"Do'h!" of the day

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default "Do'h!" of the day

I went to work, then after lunch had to go to the other data center. Go out to the car, go to start it, and I get a couple slower cranks then a sudden pop and fast clickclickclickclickclick!! OK battery died. Go to jump it and same thing, just the same rapid clicking. Everything else seems to function normally (radio, horn, power locks) so I thought the starter solenoid blew out.

I'm in my nicer clothes, don't have many tools with me, or a real jack, so I call AAA and wait an hour. Tow me over to a shop, where they check it and oh guess what it is the battery after all! Must have just had a bad connection on the jumper cable.

Embarrassing enough to get the car towed over a starter, but then to find it is just the battery....

Boy do I feel stupid right now....

BTW, my old battery I found was the original battery my car came with in 1998. 10 years, not bad for a car battery really.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the original one "click" once and die just after 3 years, new replacement died a couple years later - was so dead had to use the door key to get into the car. Definitely got your money's worth out of it if original and no leaking from the positive post.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery in my daily driver is at least five years old (that's how long I've had the car) and has been killed about a dozen times and still keeps on truckin'. I have no idea how.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My old battery didn't leak or anything like that, it just rolled over and died. Oh well, cost me money twice - cost of the battery and loss of 3 hours worth of work
Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my battery is going on 7 years old. i think its giving me ampage problems though.