Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange Pro Steel front brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Strange Pro Steel front brake kit

Cost is around $1,200.00 and the entire kit with rotors, hubs, pads, and calipers is only 33.5 lbs ... HUGE weight savings off front/rotating mass. This is 33.5 lbs for both fronts. My car is my daily driver. Only DISadvantage seems to be poor ventilation, but, I normally only drive my car 2 miles each way to-and-from work ... hardly enough to even heat the rotors. I also plan to buy the new 15" Greg Weld drag wheels and skinnies for up front and Greg weld drag wheels for the rears ... this brake kit will present no clearance issues with the calipers ... seems perfect to me.

I'm tired of hearing this drag race brake kit is for 'drag-only brakes and will not dissipate heat well, so, you can't do that'. Is there anyone on here with these brakes who can honestly give me a positive comment about swapping from stock to this setup for my fronts. I REALLY wanna' do this to pick up 2-3 tenths.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange drag brakes are a very good choice. We've got them listed at http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html (click the Strange link on left side of window). The only two options I'd consider would be Strange or Mark Williams brakes. The drag brakes will drop an ~55lbs from the front of your car, 25lbs from the rear.

I would be happy to work with you helping you setup what you'll need.

... You're correct, they will not dissipate heat as well as a stock rotor configuration. For the type of driving you're considering, they may work well for you. Factors included would be road conditions, type of driving etc...If needed down the road, pads/rotors are easy and inexpensive to replace.

With personal experience, I have had no issues. They will stop very well. It does open your considerations up to a variety of drag wheels as it's rather simple to fit just about any wheel on your car with this kit.

You'll need to replace a few brakes lines as well. The Greg Weld wheels are not available at this time. If you are open to a variety of wheel choices, I can offer you a few different solutions for drag wheels which can be of greater benefit and weight savings. I've got a few options that we do not list at this time...which I’m working on. I can discuss them as well.

Give me a call or e-mail me and I would be happy to assist you when I'm in my office tomorrow.