Sponsored by:

Hmmm... Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hmmm... Will this work?

Hey all,

I've got a buddy who's found a pretty good deal on a pair of brand-new aluminum 6.2L block/crank assemblies. I'd been planning on throwing an iron 6.0L into my car, but now that this has come up, I'm considering doing this:

Buy the aluminum block 6.2 for the block & crank, get the necessary pistons & rods to make it a basic short block. Then buy a 4.8L to get the coils, engine covers, & all of the misc. parts to get it running. (I already have the L92 heads & L76 intake.)

Can anyone tell me why this might not work? And a 2nd question while I'm here - how much should doing this cost me (excluding the 6.2L block/crank)??

Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that would work,but...The cylinder heads on the 4.8L,5.3L have smaller valves due to the sub 4.0" bore.If you found a good deal on the 6.2L short block,buy the matching heads.I think they are $800-900 brand new from Skoggin Dickey.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that it would work, but wanted some other opinions. All I'd really buy the 4.8 for would be for coil packs, valve covers, front/rear covers, that kind of thing (All the "misc. little stuff" that'd cost too much to buy separately). I already have a pair of L92 heads, so that's covered.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Hmmm... Will this work?