General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Radiator Drain plug issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Drain plug issue

I had a problem with my radiator on my car so I bought a used on off a member here but it didn't come with the drain **** so was going to use the one off my other radiator, but it was too big and the threads were way thin. I went and bought one from the dealer, same thing. What's going on?? I found one that's really close at a local parts store, it threads in great but it's still loose, wiggles around and leaks even when it's all the way in. Has anyone expericened this before? I have a 97 TA and the radiator I bought was supposedly off a 95 Z28. I'm completely stumped.
And if it helps, the plug I got that was close, the threads were M14 x 2.0mm and I believe the one from GM was an M15 x 1.50mm
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

is it an aftermarket radiator that was in a 95 z28 by chance. maybe the guy who sold it to you didnt know it was an aftermarket radiator he had on the car.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

It may be aftermarket, but I have no idea how to tell, it's looks identical to the stock one. Maybe he didn't know, that's fine either way, I just need a solution. It's driving me insane, it's the only thing stopping me from driving the car.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts change over the years, so I'm not surprised that what you got from GM isn't the right one, although it probably works well on some of the later models.

If it has plastic side tanks on the radiator, it isn't aftermarket. If you can't find a solution, you may be forced to rip one off of another car in a junk yard. It really sucks that a $0.02 part is causing you all this grief...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah it had the plastic tanks on the side, identical to the stock one.

Here is a (bad) picture of the two plugs, the longer one is the one that threads but won't seal, the shorter one is GM.
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Drain plug issue-cocks2.jpg   Radiator Drain plug issue-cocks.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

I replaced mine with a new one and it leaked. There's a rubber o-ring you'll either need to take off the old one or pick one up from the dealer - it slips over the end and I didn't see it initially. That might help.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that longer one does have a small o-ring right abover those "fingers" in that groove, it's just hard to see.

What did your new one look like?