Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will this Engine Oil Cooler Suffice for 408 turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will this Engine Oil Cooler Suffice for 408 turbo car?

i'm posting this here since you FI guys are more familiar with the higher OIL temps from turbos and such. Last year, i had oil issues. cooking oil, lower than comfortable oil pressure, breakdown after one run, etc etc. My bearings were not happy when i took it apart to say the least

needless to say, im running a cooler setup this year. my radiator just showed up, and it's smaller than i pictured it to be. any of you guys have any input on this? will this do the job or should i go bigger?

earl's 3"H x 13"L x 2"W stacked plate, -10an inlet/outlet

Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know much about running an oil cooler, but would you advise running one with the turbo setup you sold me? This motor's fresh, I don't want it cooked in a season.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

well it's not directly related to the turbo setup. i think it had more to do with the engine build, with the help of the turbo/driving habits on the side. it wasn't right from the get-go.

BUT, i would say, once you get your car running, take close notice, as you should anyway, at your oil psi. throwing a $60 oil temp gauge in there might be a good thing too. just make sure it is not breaking down. if it is, and you are running the proper oil, i would look into getting a cooler.

from my experience, not too many people run coolers. i just have bad luck i guess, and i def dont want to smoke this engine $$$$
Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. Didn't mean to ***** your post, I'm interested in this also. I hadn't seen too many posts about it, even searching after I read your post. Yeah I bought a mechanical oil gauge because my stock one is about 5-8 psi off (compared to a mechanical off the filter boss I tried to verify last year...damn '98s and their flukes!)
What oil do you suggest? I was planning on just good old mobil 1 5-30 after the first 500 miles or so.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

i'd say break it in with rotella-t 15-40 diesel oil. after than, dunno. i need to rethink my oil choices.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

no one?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After talking with a few shops/fast people on the boards I was steered away from one as most people were having even more problems with oil pressure when running one. hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

i was thinking about that too, but i guess we'll see
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know you could most likely care less about my opinions but a lot of engine builders like staying with a mineral based oil and run castrol gtx 10w30 (weight depending on clearences). especially on turbo apps, because it seems to hold up better than most against thermal breakdown, many others will continue to run the shell rotella because of the zinc attitives in the oil that helps prevent the oil from breaking down due to oil contaminents such as cylinder washdown and unevacuated fuel vapor and such. unfortunatly shell rotella(if not already) will no longer be able to use zinc as an additive because the EPA was finally able to get there crappy little hands on them. (they were the last manufacturer to be alowed to use zinc) ask any semi driver and they most likely were using shell rotella, that should tell you what a great product it was especially considering how much washdown deisels have. there are some that are not on the synthetic bandwagon yet because of the amount of solids that are in these oils. just my .02 if its worth anything to you.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

ya i've been using rotella for break in due to the zinc additives, and it's help to ring seating. i def need to do some more research on the best oil to use.... i dunno right now. i got too many things happening in my head
Old 02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the cooler will work fine as long as it has good airflow to/from it. Those stacked plate units are a LOT more efficient than the older serpentine tube and fin setups. If it doesn't get your temps down enough, you can re-use it as a power steering cooler or diffy cooler.

Jim

Quick Reply: Will this Engine Oil Cooler Suffice for 408 turbo car?