Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil pan question

I was wondering if anyone has used a stock 6.0L truck pan on their LS1 in a 69 Camaro with stock steering and subframe.

I've seen the directions of how the stock F-body pan would need to fabbed and it looks close to the dimesions of the truck pan plus I've got the truck pan laying around.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Truck pan then becomes the lowest point on your car. THere is a thread on here somewhere with a 68 that has a truck pan and it hangs a few inches below the crossmember.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 67rsss
Truck pan then becomes the lowest point on your car. THere is a thread on here somewhere with a 68 that has a truck pan and it hangs a few inches below the crossmember.

Check the picture at the top of this page... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=472609&page=4

A truck pan will "fit"... won't interfere with steering linkage or crossmember, but it hangs quite low. I got 3 inches machined off the bottom of mine and had a 1/4" 6061 plate welded on as the new bottom of the pan.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the other number of pans that will work without modificatin, it is not worth the effort to modify Trunk ones, with the lost of oil capacity and changing the pick up tube/baffles...
What will work without modification is the F-Body, CTS-V, (and maybe the Vette LS2, not batwing) and now the Colorado, Canyon and H3 Hummer 5.3L LH8 pan (BRP is marketing a kit that includes the pan setup and mounts for the engine/trans). It is somewhat simular to teh CTS-V pan in shape.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
With the other number of pans that will work without modificatin, it is not worth the effort to modify Trunk ones, with the lost of oil capacity and changing the pick up tube/baffles...
What will work without modification is the F-Body, CTS-V, (and maybe the Vette LS2, not batwing) and now the Colorado, Canyon and H3 Hummer 5.3L LH8 pan (BRP is marketing a kit that includes the pan setup and mounts for the engine/trans). It is somewhat simular to teh CTS-V pan in shape.
Kinda off subject...but is GM planning on putting 5.3s in Colorados? I just hit the Chevy website and saw I-5 still being the "big" engine.

GM is so weak...cannot even get the manual trans w the HUGE I5....pisses me off, I had to order my silverado w the 4.8 in 04 just to get a manual....
Now I baught a Dodge, just to get a V8 w manual (4.7 Dakota).

Sorry for the mini-rant
Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

That plate idea is probably not a bad idea no matter which route you choose. I ran over a rock in my Nova about 2 years ago, yeah long story, but it was right in the middle of the road, curb to the left,car to the right, so I thought "straddle it" Yeah right! it hit the subframe (put a BIG dent in that) and when the frame rolled over it, it went right through the pan, Then I stopped the car, got out walked around looked at the car and thought I got off lucky.... till I looked underneath it, pouring out 6 quarts of Mobile1!! My pan is only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the crosmember. And yeah, I kept the rock, thats a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails Another oil pan question-photo0150.jpg   Another oil pan question-photo0149.jpg   Another oil pan question-photo0148.jpg  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondered why I hadn't seen the 71 lately....course, with the 33 now it's hard to drive two..... The 33 sure is a crowd gatherer...can't wait to see the ltd...

Rick

Quick Reply: Another oil pan question