Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assembly lube and cam guide.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 945 Likes on 674 Posts

Smile Assembly lube and cam guide.....

I am starting the assembly of my motor this weekend, and though I have just picked up the ARP assembly lube for my studs and rod bolts, I am curious what you guys think of using white lithium based grease on the main and rod journals/bearings. Has anyone tried it? I read in one of the popular monthly mags out there recently that it works really well for this application, so I picked some up, the type that comes in an aerosol can. But not everything I have read in the past has always been the "ultimate" way to go about it. And they DIDN'T say whether it was "sensor safe"!! Just wondering if anyone has had any good, or bad experiences using it. Or do you think the plain old STP/motor oil mix is good enough? Or just some straight 50 motor oil? Or maybe the local Auto parts assembly lube? Just asking for some advice. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Smile

Originally Posted by grinder11
I am starting the assembly of my motor this weekend, and though I have just picked up the ARP assembly lube for my studs and rod bolts, I am curious what you guys think of using white lithium based grease on the main and rod journals/bearings. Has anyone tried it? I read in one of the popular monthly mags out there recently that it works really well for this application, so I picked some up, the type that comes in an aerosol can. But not everything I have read in the past has always been the "ultimate" way to go about it. And they DIDN'T say whether it was "sensor safe"!! Just wondering if anyone has had any good, or bad experiences using it. Or do you think the plain old STP/motor oil mix is good enough? Or just some straight 50 motor oil? Or maybe the local Auto parts assembly lube? Just asking for some advice. Thanks.
ttt.... AND... OOOPS forgot the part about the cam guide! I have been informed that this part has been discontinued by the General!!! Is this true to anyones knowledge? Also, now that Predator is back, perhaps he can shed some light on all this.... Well, do you guys know if they ARE useful, or is that why the were discontinued, if, indeed, they WERE discontinued?? HELP!!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Redline Assembly Lube on everything now. I mixes instantly with oil when the oil hits it and doesn't contain any particulate.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've heard good stuff about the redline but never personally used it.

i use Torco MPZ, which i'm a big fan of. more recently i used comp cams assembly lube (because i needed some assy lube and couldn't wait for the torco), and haven't had any problems with that. i tend to just use the assembly lube, but i've heard of others using plain motor oil if it's not gonna sit awhile.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I use Redline Assembly Lube on everything now. I mixes instantly with oil when the oil hits it and doesn't contain any particulate.
Thanks, but what of the "cam guide"? From what I see, it looks like a piece of nylon or some kind of plastic piece that bolts to the block with 2 cap screws and kind of keeps most of the timing chain slack, if any, in check. I have not found anyone who runs it, but my block is already tapped for one, and if it would help only the reliability of the timing chain, regardless of the valve events being more accurate, it would probably be a worthwhile investment. But I don't know where to get one or if they are even available anymore. Thanks, again.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

OH, now I understand. You mean the timing chain damper. What year is the motor as there are two, the older tan one and the new black one that is on the LS2. Not sure if the older one is made any more. Yes, I think they are well worth it as it keeps the chain from wrapping on the crank sprocket.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old style chain dampener has been discontinued. Scoggin Dickey has one listed for 05-up LS engines, but I don't know if it will fit the older blocks. I wouldn't use the spray can lithium grease, b/c that stuff is thin and watery. I have used white lithium grease that came in a tube with good results, but I now use moly assembly lube and engine oil.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
OH, now I understand. You mean the timing chain damper. What year is the motor as there are two, the older tan one and the new black one that is on the LS2. Not sure if the older one is made any more. Yes, I think they are well worth it as it keeps the chain from wrapping on the crank sprocket.

Thank you very much. Yes, I suppose that "chain damper" would be more appropriate. I am CERTAIN that the length of the LS1 chain and the LS2, LS3, etc., are the same. I believe that the only difference is in the upper timing gear, or sprocket, as the factory changed the way the cam pos. sensor "reads" the cam position, being at the front of the timing cover (The sensor) as compared to the older LS1's being on top of the block at the rear of the intake. But it would seem that if the sprockets/gears are the same diameter, then if the distance between the cam centerline and crank centerline is the same as the earlier motors, then the damper "SHOULD" fit, nless the bolt circle is somehow different, which I doubt, or the chain itself has wider side plates. I will call SDPC and find out for sure. Good to know that it is still made in one form or another! Thanks, again.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The old style chain dampener has been discontinued. Scoggin Dickey has one listed for 05-up LS engines, but I don't know if it will fit the older blocks. I wouldn't use the spray can lithium grease, b/c that stuff is thin and watery. I have used white lithium grease that came in a tube with good results, but I now use moly assembly lube and engine oil.
Thanks for your input. However, I have found that the aerosol can version is indeed thin and watery, like chain lube for a bike, it is as such so that it may penetrate into tight clearances, then coagulates into a much thicker (Read: "normal" viscosity) grease after a few minutes. What "moly" brand do you prefer? I have been told Red-LIne makes a good one.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's Redline in my photo above. Last time I posted that photo someone thought I cut myself
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

I'm pretty sure the moly lube I use is made by Permatex. I got it from the local Napa store, it's usually on the shelf next to the RTV, loctite, etc. I'm sure the chain dimensions are the same, but I think where the dampener bolts to the block may be different. It's just another one of those block differences between Gen3 & 4. Please let us know if you find out whether or not it will work b/c I may get one myself.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Alot of old school builders use the lithium grease from a tube, and you could get away with using that. Don't use the spray can though.

The old dampener is discontinued, and the new one will not fit your block if it's setup for the old one

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Alot of old school builders use the lithium grease from a tube, and you could get away with using that. Don't use the spray can though.

The old dampener is discontinued, and the new one will not fit your block if it's setup for the old one
What's the difference- in both the spray can grease AND the chain damper? I see that the "spray" grease gets just as viscous as the "tube" grease after a minute or so. As far as the damper, is it that the bolt centerline distances (Between the two bolts)are different? If so, this could be probably be remedied by using shoulder bolts and slightly enlarging/altering the bolt holes to match the shoulder bolts larger diameter at the proper distance between bolt centerlines-using a decent mill, of course! As far as the lithium grease being old school, I personally had never heard of this. In fact, I had read of it only recently, within the last year, in one of the monthly rags I subscribe to. Maybe I missed this "trick" years ago!!! In the REAL old days, I used a mix of STP and motor oil, mixed with a toothpick in a little glass, then brushed/fingered it on! To use a newer cliche-It worked for me!:
Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey

By the way, how much is the damper, if you have it in stock? Thanks for your input and to all who have posted up on this!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

It's 32 dollars. link http://www.sdparts.com/product/12585...LSEnignes.aspx

Quick Reply: Assembly lube and cam guide.....