Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission in Los Angeles area, how about Art Carr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission in Los Angeles area, how about Art Carr?

I have a 1995 Z28 Camaro that needs a new 4L60E, not the car in my signature. I like what I read about ACE, Performabuilt, and co but I'd prefer a local installer. Can anyone recommend a builder in the Los Angeles area?

My second Camaro has a rebuilt LT-1 with what the previous owner called a hotcam, Edelbrock heads, headers, CAI, TB, exhaust, etc... It has basically every bolt-on you could think of. I want to make sure this trans last for a little while. The last one took a dump on the track on its second pass.

I have an appointment with California Performance Transmission, formerly Art Carr Racing Transmission in Huntington Beach for Wednesday. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's dealt with him, he seems to specialize in Buick Grand Nationals.

Last edited by haacer; 03-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Has anyone heard of Art Carr? He's supposedly in the Hot Rod Hall of Fame somewhere...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

If you do a close search on him you will find he has screwed many a customer over the years. Has he had some good units come out of his shop? Some.... But there are a few on this board with a much better reputation, and better prices. I have been in this business for over 30 years and have known a few builders that have worked for him and you would not believe the stories I have heard. Do yourself a favor and pass on this.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Launching!

I haven't been able to find that much on him... It seems like a lot of people have a problem with the company that he sold his name to. I haven't been able to find anyone's bad experience with Art directly. The things I did find about him were on turbo Buick sites and said lots of nice things about his work there.

I already like the transmissions sold by the sponsors on this board... I have a problem of where to put it in... I have a carport that I'm not allowed to use for repairs and nowhere else. If I had a garage, I'd already have a rebuilt unit in that thing!

The only local sponsor I see is Strictly Performance Motorsports in Van Nuys. I haven't contacted them and I haven't found information about anyone else's experience with them.

Last edited by haacer; 03-12-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission in Los Angeles area, how about Art Carr?