Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M shift improver, is it good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M shift improver, is it good?

Im looking into getting a B&M shift kit, but i dont really know much about it, does anybody know weather its good or not? Any imput on it? I have a madz28 tune would that affect that at all? Also I dont really want to drop my tranny to put in a shift kit.

heres the link to the shift kit
http://www.jegs.com/p/B%26M/748074/10002/-1
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay away from the b&m kit. The one that you have listed there looks like one that just jacks the pressure up. Not a good idea. The transgo hd-2 kit is a much better kit.IMO
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

just get a normal shift kit. I had a B&M kit in my 700R4 and drove the absolute **** out of it... NEVER a problem for over two years until the car was stolen I tell you though, you would probably like a Superior kit the best. It is not as involved as a Transgo and it works awesome! I love mine...or just get HPtuners and I can send you some great tweaks for trans stuff
Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is a B&M Shift Plus.. Its an electronic box and all it does is raise the line pressure during part throttle driving. It does nothing to change Wide open performance. Its a waste of money. What you need is normal Shift kit that you have to drop the trans pan and pull the valve body to install. It can be done in a normal persons garage but man after having a couple trannys apart.. forget that mess. too many passages and check *****, and screws and such for my liking. miss one and at best the trans won't shift right and as worse you ruin a trans. that is why when my current car needed a trans.. I just droped it off and speed inc and got a FLT trans and Vig 3600.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Launching!

the shift kit is stupid easy to put in.... a monkey could do it...
it comes with detailed instructions...how much easier could it get? It is time consuming and you must pay close attention to not getting anything in the valve body (e.g. dirt, etc.) but as long as you take your time and be meticulous it is a cinch.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
the shift kit is stupid easy to put in.... a monkey could do it...
it comes with detailed instructions...how much easier could it get? It is time consuming and you must pay close attention to not getting anything in the valve body (e.g. dirt, etc.) but as long as you take your time and be meticulous it is a cinch.
Thanks for calling me a Monkey.. means a lot coming from a Retarded Jackass.

If you pull the trans completely out of the car and have plenty of space and nice bench, a stand, and all yeah it would be a hell of a lot easier. Try it in a 1 car garage and its a whole different story. Its not that easy.. lots of bolts, different bolt lengths, check *****, trans fluid everywhere. My experience it was a pain in the ***. First time it went decent no real problems I had a 2 car garage to work in.. 2nd time in another car it was a nightmare 1 car garage and the trans never worked right afterwards and would not shift and gave up and hauled it to a shop after dropping the trans 3 times trying to figure out what I did. After that I'd rather just pull the trans myself and get it looked at or have a shop do it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An old buddy of mine put a B&M kit in his Somkey T/A and trashed the tranny, there is almost nothing to the kit, the Trans-go has a lot to it.

Im going trans-go for my TH-400.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
An old buddy of mine put a B&M kit in his Somkey T/A and trashed the tranny, there is almost nothing to the kit, the Trans-go has a lot to it.

prob. had a pre-existing trans problem
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

yea im stuck in the end of the install becuase my brackets are missing...i wish i could help ya out here but untill i find this bracket the car will be on jacks...i did this all last night hoping to drive it this morning tilll i realized the dam piece was missing!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats a comon thing people change the fluid or install a shift kit i a 100000 mile plus trans and then it the kit or fluid change fault . In fact the trans dies because it has preexsisting issues .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z

Im going trans-go for my TH-400.
The B&M 700r4 "shift improver kit" contained very few parts and I felt ripped off - whereas the transgo kit was far more comprehensive.

Quick Reply: B&M shift improver, is it good?