Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any msd pro data+ users around?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any msd pro data+ users around?

I'm getting the msd 6010 ignition box and downloaded the software ready for it onto my laptop. (just removed the fixed timing version box as was pinking)

i'm looking for some info/help if possible as to suggested safe ignition curves /max timing figures as a starter to get me going if anyone can advise thanks?

stock compression ls1, 220/220 cam with .510" lift, so its pretty mild. rev limit suggested to me is 6400 rpm or so, i have arp rod bolts. inlet is GM performance with a demon 750cfm carb, mech 2ndaries.

some msd info i have shows the basic timing pills have something like the following advance points already set up ie no1 pill
rpm deg
1000 20
2000 26
4200 33
6000 35
6100 35

however i've tried a stock fixed pill no1 already and got some pinking on uk fuel above 5k revs. our dyno guy has mapped efi versions of the ls2 and ls7 engines and told me that top end timing never went above 29 degrees on those while making good safe power on our uk fuels.

i've also been advised to hook up the map sensor for vacuum advance to clean it up at part throttle, and maybe take it up to as much as 40-45degrees advance on light throttle to make it run clean. altho i've looked at the software i'm not 100% sure as yet how to work the vac advance part just yet. my demon carb has a timed vacuum port plus a constant vac port, i assume the timed port is the one to use so its not adding lots of timing in at idle?

just looking for any thoughts /advice really from anyone who has had experience of setting up their own timing maps etc.
cheers
Old 03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

bttt for help
Old 03-16-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...?t=5909&page=2

Thats one article i have read. I would become a member there and post some questions for tuning there. That's what i plan on doing. I've had alot of trouble with the couple demon carbs i have had. I got rid of both of them because i couldnt get them tuned right and just switched back to vac secondary hollies.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the chips that come with the box have way too much timing for a LSX engine

i started with the edelbrock box on my swap, but i could not believe how much timing was built into the edelbrock box with the chips,, by the time you got above 5800 rpm all the chips had over 34* of timing and some of the chips had more yet

from what i have noticed most LSX engines like 27-29* total advance at WOT, so i picked up the 6010 box and programmed my own curve, here is a copy of it, you should be able to open it with your msd software, mine has a map sensor to give it a few more * of timing when cruising or high vacuum conditions only and i have a nitrous retard of 6* when activated.

this file has about 18* of timing at idle depending on vacuum

the file is in zip formatt so unzip it first
Attached Files
File Type: zip
6Ls10wnitrous.zip (4.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

hi cheers for that Jay, very useful thanks. the edelbrock timing pill no1 has 20 deg at 1000 rom but as you say they all go 34+ degrees top end. didnt suit our uk fuels. i will download the curve and see how it looks . i've been told the ls1 with carb will like some vacuum advance added in, to clean it up above idle and part throttle, be interesting to see how much you run in those areas. the guy who runs our local dyno has mapped some ls7s on efi, and they also run no more than about 29 deg max at WOT.
i wont be using nitrous so i will have to make sure that option is turned off, is that activated by a switch wire to set the msd back?
cheers for help
Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...?t=5909&page=2

Thats one article i have read. I would become a member there and post some questions for tuning there. That's what i plan on doing. I've had alot of trouble with the couple demon carbs i have had. I got rid of both of them because i couldnt get them tuned right and just switched back to vac secondary hollies.
hi shawn
suprised you had probs with the demon, what happened when tuning? mine has been used on an engine on a dyno, to prove the carb is ok, made 500bhp using my setup, so i'm hoping it works properly on mine with the new 6010 box.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
the chips that come with the box have way too much timing for a LSX engine

i started with the edelbrock box on my swap, but i could not believe how much timing was built into the edelbrock box with the chips,, by the time you got above 5800 rpm all the chips had over 34* of timing and some of the chips had more yet

from what i have noticed most LSX engines like 27-29* total advance at WOT, so i picked up the 6010 box and programmed my own curve, here is a copy of it, you should be able to open it with your msd software, mine has a map sensor to give it a few more * of timing when cruising or high vacuum conditions only and i have a nitrous retard of 6* when activated.

this file has about 18* of timing at idle depending on vacuum

the file is in zip formatt so unzip it first
i've had a look at your file now thanks, looks quite easy to adjust if need be. i see that you have some advance available depending upon map sensor, thats the bit i'm not sure of yet though. i'd like to add some advance for part throttle situations and when idling ie when plenty of vaccuum is available. is the map sensor supplied a 1bar item with the 6010, ie suitable for use in a n/a motor. im not going to be running a blower or turbo, so could do with knowing what i'm likely to see on that sensor at idle/part throttle?

i also noticed you have a quite high rpm limit at 7500rpm, have you done some work to your bottom end to take those revs?
i'm looking to rev to about 6400 as a maximum so will adjust that
rgds
chris
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I set mine to 20 at 1000 and then 32 all in by 2000, ran a tenth or 2 better than the #1 curve.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

do you use any vacuum advance at all for part throttle or to clean up the idle?
or just run the set 20deg and up?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chris-m
i also noticed you have a quite high rpm limit at 7500rpm, have you done some work to your bottom end to take those revs?
i'm looking to rev to about 6400 as a maximum so will adjust that
rgds
chris

stock bottom end with arp rod bolts, pulls to over 7000 rpm like nothing
Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

i've done the same rod bolts and mine was still making power at 6400rpm, whats the safe rev limit you reckon for track use?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im my 01 Z06 i reved to 7300rpm on a dialy driver and it saw that rpm very very often with 465rwhp and 15psi DRs. grenaded a T56 and a differential in it as well. You'd be suprised what these engines will take if you tune/take care of them well. My 94 Z has quite a bit of work done to it with 151k on the odometer and i spin the lt1 to 6100rpm.

I'd say 7k max since it's an LS1 bottom end. That's what i'm going to be spinning mine to anyway. You could probably even go 7200 since you're cam isnt as high a light.

Jay what did your S10 weigh? Those are some nice times man!

I couldnt get it to idle, took it to a guy who kind of new demons, he made it worse so i just took the carb off and sold it. Haha i didnt even make it to jetting or anything like that. I had too many other carbs laying around to justify wasting time with that one. (The engine was a 454 i put in a 1968 C60 dump truck so mechanical secondaries just werent the best anyway)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

i've done the valve springs and retainers plus uprated pushrods so maybe i can spin it a little more, but it probably wont need it in a light car. plus i intend racing it eventually and a lower rpm limit will help its life.

i need to find out now how much advance to add in around idle/part throttle via the vac/map sensor, and how that affects the idling etc. i have a wideband lambda of my own i can play with, but no jets and i'm not 100% up on these demon carbs (or any carbs to be honest as this is my first v8 carbd car).
Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny

Jay what did your S10 weigh? Those are some nice times man!

not sure i never had it on a scale, its a driver, times should be better now with the new L92 heads and new cam, they really woke up the 6.0L
Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Regular

Jay- did the 6010 not come with a map sensor or is one supplied? if not i can probably use the one off the fixed edelbrock/msd timing box i bet.
any thoughts on how much advance might be added under vac/light throttle , i see your file looks to be adding about 6 degrees?
regards
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Jay- did the 6010 not come with a map sensor or is one supplied? if not i can probably use the one off the fixed edelbrock/msd timing box i bet.
any thoughts on how much advance might be added under vac/light throttle , i see your file looks to be adding about 6 degrees?
regards
the 6010 does not come with a map sensor, you can use the sensor from your edelbrock box or pick up one, it is just a common gm map sensor, im adding 6* advance with vacuum, you can add more with more vacuum, im still messing with that a bit
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

cheers for that will see how i get on. still waiting delivery on the 6010 box. your ign curve has given me a good start though thanks i'll use it as a base setting. the car made 404bhp at hubs on the fixed box with no1 pill, so it may not make as much with a little less ign in there top end, but should be safer.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

i've done the valve springs and retainers plus uprated pushrods so maybe i can spin it a little more, but it probably wont need it in a light car. plus i intend racing it eventually and a lower rpm limit will help its life.

i need to find out now how much advance to add in around idle/part throttle via the vac/map sensor, and how that affects the idling etc. i have a wideband lambda of my own i can play with, but no jets and i'm not 100% up on these demon carbs (or any carbs to be honest as this is my first v8 carbd car).
I didnt run a map sensor, and never will
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darracq
I didnt run a map sensor, and never will
its just to clean up the emissions at idle and part throttle as i see it, doesnt have any effect on wot or top end power. or is it not worth messing about with?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not worth messing with to me but i am old school. lol Thats why i put the timing all in so soon, but you need a decent converter.

Quick Reply: Any msd pro data+ users around?