LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anybody use Ethanol or make their own

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use Ethanol or make their own

I read thread about fuel prices and I agree it sucks. Does anyone make their own ethanol fuel (or other alcohol) and if you do, do you run it in your F-body? How hard would it really be to make your own still etc. ?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother and I are in the process of doing this. You have to have all the parts and in Florida apply for a small distribution license that limits you to 10,000 gallons per year. I'm letting him deal with getting the parts. We should be putting together two stills in the next month or two. We're going to still some straight alcohol, then tweak with it seeing if we can add certain things to make it a little better.

Once we get everything figured out I'm going to tune my 93 Z28 with a GT42 turbo on it. I'll be doing before testing on 93 octane and after testing running our alcohol on the dyno. That's about all I can really tell you about it as that's what he's told me. You can also make drinking alcohol in it too as an added bonus.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the home brewer it will be nearly impossible and definitely impractical to make it dry enough to burn in an engine, alcohol absorbs water so it is not an easy thing to get the water out of it.

Naturally aspirated you will make LESS power and drastically reduce economy on alcohol, if compression and tuning are just right you can get slightly more power but it is unlikely.

Forced induction is another story, alcohol acts as a chemical intercooler and can be a benifit there with the air temps seen in boosted engines.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a tune, an appropriate fuel pump, and I believe even different fuel injector O-Rings to run it constantly. All due to it being dry. There's a guy on here who runs it almost all the time, he mixes in some diesel to help with lubrication.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
For the home brewer it will be nearly impossible and definitely impractical to make it dry enough to burn in an engine, alcohol absorbs water so it is not an easy thing to get the water out of it.

Naturally aspirated you will make LESS power and drastically reduce economy on alcohol, if compression and tuning are just right you can get slightly more power but it is unlikely.

Forced induction is another story, alcohol acts as a chemical intercooler and can be a benifit there with the air temps seen in boosted engines.
+1 Alcohol doesn't have a very good benefit for N/A motors. DSM's have been running it for years since they are factory turbo charged. Only thing is though, we have to upgrade everything in the fuel system since it takes so much alcohol to burn because of alcohols oxygen content. Alcohol has to run rich, like 30% richer! On the world record setting DSM running 100% alcohol with a B16g mistubishi turbo (gotta think though, thats still a small turbo), He was only running 1000cc injectors, even then he was maxing out his injector duty cycle.

Also, it! This topic has been covered millions of times.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

My fuel system will be completely alcohol compatible. I'll be using 60lbers, a boost reference fuel pressure regulator, and two 255lph with the second pump on a hobbs switch. The water thing will be interesting to see how it turns out. Especially down here seeing as how we have extremely high humidity at all parts of the year.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My fuel system will be completely alcohol compatible. I'll be using 60lbers, a boost reference fuel pressure regulator, and two 255lph with the second pump on a hobbs switch. The water thing will be interesting to see how it turns out. Especially down here seeing as how we have extremely high humidity at all parts of the year.
Even though Alcohol is Hygroscopic (it retains water like brake fluid and A/C compressor lubricants), it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Also, if you can, find a Mark IV supra Fuel pump. It flows about 40-50 more LPH than a 255 at the same PSI. I like where your going with your setup Beaflag. If you didn't realize most cars from the early 90s don't have a problem with being alcohol compatible. Just replace a few o-rings and you should be good. Also, Alcohol isn't corrosive to aluminum like most people think. Its actually methanol that people have problem with. Figured I'd give some heads up on that.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've made it and used it. Its not rocket science.

The process of making it isn't all that hard, but it is rather time consuming. And sometimes not worth making unless you have free input. I've ran upto a 30/70 mix and my car handled it fine, and no problems with lines or anything.

-Rick
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

When I mentioned drying it I was NOT talking about it absorbing moisture I was talking about the moisture in the ingedients and used in production. I mentioned the fact it can absorb water to highlight just how difficult it will be to get the existing moisture out.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Might just be 93's 'stupidity', but I ran about 80% E85 one time. My car ran OK home, but the next day it ran like total crap. I figured about 40% is the max I want to try running.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ethonal and methonal are not the same thing as far as what is reqired for your fuel system.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
ethonal and methonal are not the same thing as far as what is reqired for your fuel system.
I believe we all know this, and is not the debate.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Ethanol is corrosive not as bad as methanol, and it will require MUCH more volume again not to the degree of methanols but these issues are still present.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by halucinator
Even though Alcohol is Hygroscopic (it retains water like brake fluid and A/C compressor lubricants), it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Also, if you can, find a Mark IV supra Fuel pump. It flows about 40-50 more LPH than a 255 at the same PSI. I like where your going with your setup Beaflag. If you didn't realize most cars from the early 90s don't have a problem with being alcohol compatible. Just replace a few o-rings and you should be good. Also, Alcohol isn't corrosive to aluminum like most people think. Its actually methanol that people have problem with. Figured I'd give some heads up on that.
Thanks for the hint on the supra pumps. I'll check into those. I've seen a lot of false information spread about how alcohol destroys fuel systems.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Thanks for the hint on the supra pumps. I'll check into those. I've seen a lot of false information spread about how alcohol destroys fuel systems.
Alcohols destruction was mostly done up back in the 60s and 70s when they were running non hardened exhaust seats and copper/brass/aluminum carbs.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

I have seen what happens when a guy trusts his 18yo kid to winterize an alky(methanol) roundy round car. Alky is rough on parts granted today most stuff can handle it fairly well since for the last 20 everything has been mandated to handle at least 10%, so while issues are possible at higher concentrations it will be a slow long process.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I have seen what happens when a guy trusts his 18yo kid to winterize an alky(methanol) roundy round car. Alky is rough on parts granted today most stuff can handle it fairly well since for the last 20 everything has been mandated to handle at least 10%, so while issues are possible at higher concentrations it will be a slow long process.
What is involved in winterizing an alky car?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Getting ALL the alky out of it. Kid boxed the carb up with the bowls full and did the same with the belt driven fuel pump, pump was seized by spring carb needed a rebuild too.

The sealed fuel system of these cars and using ethanol instead of methanol would reduce these concerns a fair bit though.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Well, I definetly won't have a problem with the winter thing.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Winter was no somuch the issue as prolonged storage of several months without being touched.

Quick Reply: Anybody use Ethanol or make their own