Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 In An FFR Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 In An FFR Roadster

Decided to start a new project. Sold my Fbody a few months ago to fund this project. Plan is to use an LSx block, pretty much stock for now, with a T56. Car got delivered today so here's a few pics of the delivery. I'll post up progress as time goes on..

Brothers wife and daughter

Last edited by tails8; 03-19-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Teching In

I have a feeling this is going to turn out very cool.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sure beats the hell out of starting out a project with a 75 year old, beat up, rusted hulk of an old car.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Launching!

Update:

Got the front suspension on. Tubular lower control arms, adjustable upper control arms, and adjustable koni shocks.
Still have to a few little things before I torque everthing down so here's a few pics..

Tails
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont even want to know the price of that kit/suspension... lol but will be a badass car when done!

i bet its hard to sleep at night thinking of all the stuff you have planed!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!!

I really want to do a similar build!
Maybe I should get one and scrap my 73 Buick L92/T56 conversion (for now).
Does Factory Five offer a kit for the LS1 now, or do you have to make it fit a ford kit?
What rear end?
What other parts do you need (brakes, electrical, etc)?
Would you be willing to post or PM me your realistic budget?

I have the L92/T56, and some cash for my current conversion....but if I could sell my Camaro to fund this type of project....

My whole plan was to go road racing anyway!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Launching!

dont even want to know the price of that kit/suspension... lol but will be a badass car when done!

i bet its hard to sleep at night thinking of all the stuff you have planed!
Thanks. Ya it is hard to sleep when the only realistic time I have to work on it is the weekends. Having to walk past it in the garage on the way to work is hard..lol

subtlez28, you have a PM..

Tails
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

omg !!!! this is gonna be nice gl with build
Old 03-24-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was wondering to myself the other day, how long it will take for an LSX cobra kit. Id like to have the funding to do one of these...maybe someday, but until then, ill live vicariously through your thread. keep the updates often and detailed.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh my... I like where this is going!

Ill bet its hard to not be able to work on it... Heck now its going to be tough for us just waiting for updates so I cant imagine how bad you want to get on it!!!

J.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that is going to be sweet. One of our local body shops paints a lot of cars for Factory Five, so I have seen quite a few in various stages of completion and even some that got crunched in for repair. He answers questions on the FFR Forum under Street Rod Painter. Anyway, I digress. I've subscribed to your thread, hope you will keep us posted.

Good luck with it, take your time as hard as that will be

Pat
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys!

Ya I've seen him post over the ffcobra board. There's some nice paintjobs that come out of that shop..

Does Factory Five offer a kit for the LS1 now, or do you have to make it fit a ford kit?
Not exactly. The only kits they offer are for the 5.0 or 4.6L mod motors. If you get the kit with the 4.6 options you can modify the mustang motor mounts to work on an LSx block. There's been posts in the past here and I'll put up pics when I get to that stage. For the trans I'm using the T56 and my measurements are pretty much dead on with the mount on the kit. I might have to drill a few more holes in the mount but that's easy..

What rear end?
I'm using the Ford 8.8 with a 3.55 gear. It's one of the options with the car when you order..

Tails
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tails,

You have a whole heap of fun approaching . I put an LS in a Gardner Douglas kit (UK Manufacturer)....Toooo much fun

Good luck with the build.

Rgds

Jim
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

This has been an idea of mine for some time, keep us up to date, looking good so far!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

I sold my FFR roadster not too long ago.. Sweet car whish I kept it but on to different projects..

I used to hang out at FFcobra.com.. Lot of good info over there..

Streetrodpainter does some very nice work..

Good luck and keep us up to date..
Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Launching!

im doing this project for my dad in the next year too......cant wait to see someone else builing it first.....lol.....makes it easier on me!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Good Project Tails. There's a whole bunch of us down here in Australia running LS1, LS2, L76 and LS7 motors in our Cobras. Drop by at ClubCobra.com and say hello Club Cobra Aussie Forum

I've had mine on the road for about a year now. I spend more time doing track days than road driving. It's just so much fun being able to drive these cars at the limit. Hopefully it'll be painted over the next year. I've just been busy modifying things and upgrading my running gear to worry about body work (Paint doesn't make you go any faster).

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

Michael
Cheers
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Tails,

You have a whole heap of fun approaching . I put an LS in a Gardner Douglas kit (UK Manufacturer)....Toooo much fun

Good luck with the build.

Rgds

Jim
Thanks Jim. I was going through some old posts and saw the pictures of your setup in another thread. Nice job..

im doing this project for my dad in the next year too......cant wait to see someone else builing it first.....lol.....makes it easier on me!!!
Hurry up and get started on the LS2000TT. I think all after all of us little cars/big motor projects are done we all gotta meet up someplace..

Good Project Tails. There's a whole bunch of us down here in Australia running LS1, LS2, L76 and LS7 motors in our Cobras. Drop by at ClubCobra.com and say hello Club Cobra Aussie Forum

I've had mine on the road for about a year now. I spend more time doing track days than road driving. It's just so much fun being able to drive these cars at the limit. Hopefully it'll be painted over the next year. I've just been busy modifying things and upgrading my running gear to worry about body work (Paint doesn't make you go any faster).
Michael, I'm already registered over on clubcobra just don't post there that often. Nice pictures. I can't help but notice the shorter rollbar and sidepipes. Is that something you did or was that the parts that came with the car? I'll make it a habit to checkup on the Aussie area. Seems I can get more answers to the questions regarding my combo there. Thanks...

As far as updates for everyone else not much last night. Just torqued everything down on the front suspension so nothing I haven't already gotten pictures of. I did notice that the wife put the bracket that joins the spindle to the upper control arm on backwards. I looked at it for a second going "WTF?". Compaired it to my side just to be sure. So I laughed as I pulled it apart, turned it around, and bolted it back up...

Tails
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, you got your wife wrenching on it too? What a lucky guy, even if you have to double check and fix a few things, it's great she is joining in and learning.... and laughing! Besides, I always double check my own work too.

Pat
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Teching In

thats very cool!!

Quick Reply: LS1 In An FFR Roadster