Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 In An FFR Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Well you could go the manual route and always switch later on if you don't like it. Reason I say that is this kind of stuff is always subjective based on the driver. Me I'd have issues with it in a 2900lb car. Heck if the cobra weighed a couple hundred pounds more I'd say for sure I would be going the PS route. Again subjective so it's your call. The rack in mine is a 15:1 rack. You go with a lower ratio however the steering will start to get twitchy. So something to keep in mind..

Tails
Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice build so far. You should be proud!

Now... when are you going to put a big cam in it?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats badass!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I've thought about doing a H/C package on it down the road. Probably after it gets painted. If I do that I'm going to have to ditch the j-pipes that are on it and get a set of headers made for it. But either way it's further down the road. I've accepted this project as being a constant work in progress..

Also LSxCobra is now legal and insured. Went thru the DMV process over the holiday weekend. Wasn't to bad. Got the car titled as a 1965 SPCON. So don't have to worry about emissions, woohoo.. Tags were a little over $95 bucks for 2 years. Plate choices are:
LSXCBRA
or
LSX FFR depending on whichever they "approve"

Tails
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Very nice. My dad and I have talked for years about building a cobra. I hope that we get to someday. The coupe would be another awesome car to build.

I thought your car had headers?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Launching!

It does but they are shorty headers. So if I want to make any decent power over stock those are going to have to go away in the future. I knew it when I put them on. Just didn't have the money in the budget at the time to have a set made...

Tails
Old 01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Have you ever thought about making your own? Here's an article on building your own headers. If you've got a chop saw and a mig welder then you could probably cut and tack them to the position you want and then have a machine shop tig weld them for you. Tig welds would be strong and look great, and I'd say you could save some serious dough if you tried it yourself.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tails8
Decided to take a quick spin Christmas Eve with my g/f's dad. Here's a short clip of the first freeway shakedown run.

Merry Christmas everyone and hope you all have a safe and happy new year..

Tails
Thumbs up for letting that mullet dance in the wind... LOL
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

zoomies!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Have you ever thought about making your own? Here's an article on building your own headers. If you've got a chop saw and a mig welder then you could probably cut and tack them to the position you want and then have a machine shop tig weld them for you. Tig welds would be strong and look great, and I'd say you could save some serious dough if you tried it yourself.
Thanks for the article and suggestion. Not a bad idea at all. I've been tossing around the idea of building them myself but don't know how to tig weld. Nor do I have the equipment to do it. I do have a mig so you're idea would work.

And no zoomies. Car is loud enough as it is..

Tails
Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well done buddy, thing must feel like a catapult....
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Looks like my first choice in plates went thru..

Tails
Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tails, where you at in AZ? I truly hope it's close to PHX, because i'd love to see that thing! it's exactly what I want to do down the road.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Yep I'm in the Phx area. Shot you a PM..

Tails
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

My business partner is waiting to pull the trigger on either a Roadster or GTM. If you're ever up by Cave Creek and the 101, you need to stop by. Maybe it'll push him over the edge.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PPI Typhoon
My business partner is waiting to pull the trigger on either a Roadster or GTM. If you're ever up by Cave Creek and the 101, you need to stop by. Maybe it'll push him over the edge.
Did your guy pull the trigger on one of them yet?

I did a little bit of work over the long weekend. Finished the trans tunnel, shifter hole, and boot. Also took the side pipes off, sanded the surface rust off, and painted them.

Tails
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

congrats on the build, i always always wanted to do one of these. Why not spray it yourself in a flat black, it would be different and can be done reasonably on the cheap, especially since you can remove the body so easily ( not much to mask off) later on down the road have it painted when you decide on a color...

quick question on the FFR - one of the things I noticed looking at the FFR and superformance cars is the gap behind the rear wheel. I'm assuming you have a MKIII from FFR, how does it look from 10'. I thought in the earlier versions they had it really really big for my taste and the superformance looked a little cleaner. Would be curious on your take.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

what brand header paint is that?

im gonna have to grind off a bunch of ceramic coating for a flange swap on my hookers, and if this works for you long term ill paint mine black too
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Launching!

congrats on the build, i always always wanted to do one of these. Why not spray it yourself in a flat black, it would be different and can be done reasonably on the cheap, especially since you can remove the body so easily ( not much to mask off) later on down the road have it painted when you decide on a color...
Not really worried about painting it yet. I'll let the body guy take care of that when I drop it off for paint. Reason I say that is the grinding / sanding I had to do to the doors, hood, and trunk lid gave me a whole new respect for body guys. I honestly wasn't enjoying that at all..

The other issue you touched on was the "perky butt" issue FFR's have. I wouldn't call it a problem, more of a characteristic of the kit. It really didn't bother me that much. There are body mods out there you can do to drop the butt of the car. Here's a few pics away from the car to give you an idea:

what brand header paint is that?

im gonna have to grind off a bunch of ceramic coating for a flange swap on my hookers, and if this works for you long term ill paint mine black too
Don't laugh. High temp flat black rattle can paint from Home Depot.. Was told by quite a few peeps over on the FFR board that it works great and lasts. So we will see. I'll let ya know in a few months after driving.

Tails
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that thing is gonna be awesome on the street! my dad has a ERA cobra with a 427FE, and it is a handful to drive!!! very fun and FAST! but he only gets about 8 miles to the gallon, haha.

Quick Reply: LS1 In An FFR Roadster