Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Typical what should I do question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Typical what should I do question.

Basically I have about $800 to spend on the car in the next 2 months and I've been trying to decide what shock/spring set up to go with. I was trying to hold out and get the Koni/Strano set up, but not enough funds to build my deck, install gutters, and buy all the parts. I think I know what the answer will be, but thought I'd check. I am wondering if I should just get the Koni 4/3 set up and keep the stock springs, or should I go for a KYB/Strano spring setup? I've pretty much decided on the Koni's and then somewhere down the line pick up the springs. I know it would be easier to do it all at once, but I am an ASE mechanic with ready access to spring compressors and the like, so no big deal labor wise. Also, if I do the Koni's, I was thinking I could run the springs on the lower perch on the front and do the heater hose mod on the rear so I would atleast lose the 4x4 look. Let me know what you guys think. Especially Sam if you have a chance to chime in, otherwise I'll be in touch soon to order whatever I decide.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the Koni's and cut your stock springs to the height you want. It works if you are on a budget.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Get the Koni's and cut your stock springs to the height you want. It works if you are on a budget.
that does sound like a good option actually
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just get the Konis and run the stock springs until you have enough to get a new set.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
Basically I have about $800 to spend on the car in the next 2 months and I've been trying to decide what shock/spring set up to go with. I was trying to hold out and get the Koni/Strano set up, but not enough funds to build my deck, install gutters, and buy all the parts. I think I know what the answer will be, but thought I'd check. I am wondering if I should just get the Koni 4/3 set up and keep the stock springs, or should I go for a KYB/Strano spring setup? I've pretty much decided on the Koni's and then somewhere down the line pick up the springs. I know it would be easier to do it all at once, but I am an ASE mechanic with ready access to spring compressors and the like, so no big deal labor wise. Also, if I do the Koni's, I was thinking I could run the springs on the lower perch on the front and do the heater hose mod on the rear so I would atleast lose the 4x4 look. Let me know what you guys think. Especially Sam if you have a chance to chime in, otherwise I'll be in touch soon to order whatever I decide.

I guess I'm late.... This might be going out on a limb, but I'm hoping that I'm selling the parts here. So assuming I am it doesn't really matter to me how the money is spent, just that the best results come from it. So..... I'd do the Koni's, and if that means waiting on springs, then fine. I've never been shy about how much the shocks matter, and AGX's are not in the same league as Koni's are.

The other thing I'd suggest is a 22mm hollow bar to go with the 35mm front (reading you sig). And I'd also do that before the springs.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, thanks Sam. Yeah, the sale will be yours. I was thinking the same thing on the sway bar before the springs, cause you keep pointing that out to me. I've been running just the front bar for 2 years now, in fact i need new frame bushings for it. What's your take on using the lower perch and the heater hose mod for the stock springs, just to bring it down a bit? My fear with lowering it some and not gaining spring rate is that it will bottom out. I just don't have much experience with lowering cars so I'm not sure. Any info. is appreciated, or like I said, I'll be calling in the next week to order the Koni's atleast. Maybe if I can funnel a bit more funds, I'll do the rear bar too.