LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions please

Hello all, i just recently cammed my 01 ws6. After doing so, my friend who has a 96 vette wants to do his soooo bad. He looks to me for suggestions and such. Only thing is, i dont know jack about the lt1's. He doesnt have alot done to it now, just a catback. He wants to do all of the mods at the same time, like the lt's and cam. What are some good mods for the lt1? He was looking at larger throttle bodies. Does he really need one? For the most part, upgrading a throttle body on an ls1 doesnt net any real gains unless your pushing at least 450rwhp. I dont want him buying usless mods, or stuff he really doesnt need. And what about cams? He just wants a fun daily driver, nothing serious. I also read these motors have 1.5 rockers, is it a good idea to upgrade these to 1.6 or 1.7rr's? And as far as duration and lift go is about the same size as the ls1's? You know, anything larger than a 230 .600 lift starts to get on the big side. He just wants a little more umph from the car. What are some good things to upgrade and some cams to look at? Kind of like the basic cam for an ls1 is the 224r. Is this about the same for the lt1? Someone steer me in the right direction. His car is also an auto.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/836200-stock-head-cam-cam-swap-guide.html

Thats a good place to start. If you have questions after reading that real quick post up and I'll try to answer.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly, he won't get the same gains you did with just a cam. Even with LTs and a cam I think he'll be a bit short on you. However, he is about 350lbs lighter so that might help.

They do have 1.5s, and some 1.6s with the cam would help, but LT1s like a bit more exhaust than what they have now. A 52mm TB wouldn't hurt, but probably wouldn't be needed with LTs and a cam. I think with LTs, exhaust, cam, TB, injectors and a tune would make him very happy.