Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission from my V6 to a V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Transmission from my V6 to a V8

The typical response I'm getting is that I can't make my current transmission bolt up to an LT1. Which drives me CRAZY. I spent $1750 on a build for this transmission and it's strong enough to take the torture from a V8...

I think people just automatically assume they can't be interchanged. But it just doesn't make any sense to me. They're both 4L60Es, just the bolt pattern doesn't fit.

So could someone who knows for sure please chime in, thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to get a V8 bell housing and take yours off and swap it with the V8 one... should be the only difference

Most people when doing V6-->V8 swaps just skip the trouble and get a new tranny/engine combo..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok unfortunatly if the info in your sig is correct They are correct the 95 3.8 trans did not have a removabale bell .So the bolt pattern and bell size are completely wrong. In order to make that work you would have to swap the guts to a V8 case. Next in addition to that the input shaft is wrong, So you would need to change that too.
To Sum it up,
1-change to a V8 case by swaping internals
2-change the input shaft

Once you have done these things you will then be able to put your trans in a V8 application

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Ok unfortunatly if the info in your sig is correct They are correct the 95 3.8 trans did not have a removabale bell .So the bolt pattern and bell size are completely wrong. In order to make that work you would have to swap the guts to a V8 case. Next in addition to that the input shaft is wrong, So you would need to change that too.
To Sum it up,
1-change to a V8 case by swaping internals
2-change the input shaft

Once you have done these things you will then be able to put your trans in a V8 application

Well I learn something new every day... I don't know much about LT1's or pre-98 stuff... hell I know little about 98+.. haha