LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best cam only cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default best cam only cam

i want to hear everyones opinions. lingenfelter, xfi, crane, what is the best cam for cam only
Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cc305 worked well for me.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SUPERB LOW END AND MID-RANGE

COMPETITION CAMS PART NUMBER: 07-465-8
ENGINE: LT1 260XFI HR-13
GRIND #: LT1 260XFI HR-13
INT EXH
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD
GROSS VALVE LIFT: .560 .555
DURATION AT
.006 TAPPET LIFT 260 270
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
AT .006 INT 21 59
EXH 72 18

THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM INSTALLED
@ 109.0 INT C/L
INT EXH

DUR @.050: 210 218
LOBE LIFT: .3510 .3480
LOBE SEPARATION: 113.0
RECOMMENDED CC VALVE SPRINGS: 26915

This cam is in the same clas as the crane 227, and LPE grinds 211 and 219. Excellent cams for cam only, however cam only also means new valvetrain or bust!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Custom Cam PERIOD
Best cam only cam leaves out alot of variables. Best cam only cam for daily driving and making power? or best cam only cam to run the fastest times possible? Depends where you are willing to shift. Off the shelf wise I would say the cc503 is probaly the best choice because of a good mix of good daily driving, making good power, running good times, and not having to risk blowing up the stock shortblock. But, custom is the way to go hands down.
Also, dont consider the xfi stuff unless you want to replace your valve springs every 20k and have a cam that doesnt perform as you would expect.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

daily driven power
Old 03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ElkySS
daily driven power
My vote goes towards the cc503 for daily driven power because its basically the biggest cam you can go and retain great drivability, decent gas mileage, and tear it up on the street and track and without shifting too too high. Again you can get another 10-15rwhp/tq at peak and quite a bit across the board with a custom grind similar to size to that cam so I highly want to recommend you talk to Bret Bauer or Advanced Induction. I have the 503 and love it to death but I do wish I would have researched more and went the custom route.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

well just out of curiosity what kind of milage are you getting?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

well just out of curiosity what kind of milage are you getting?
10-11 thru 3.73's, 3600 stall, and a heavy *** foot. I fixed an 02 problem I was having so that should go up.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default Sticky---

You should read the Sticky-- *Stock Head Cam/Cam Swap Guide* put together by Stealth. A lot of good info that might help you make your decision. It definately verified my cam choice.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

yea i read that over and over but it didnt help me much. i guess i need info that it a little more specific but this cc503 is lookin pretty good to me. whats the rpm range is it? i already know i need springs, rockers and puchrods but do i need lifters with this cam? will i be turning high enough rpms to where i need to strengthen the block? give me the negatives of this cam

Last edited by ElkySS; 03-23-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

yea i read that over and over but it didnt help me much. but this cc503 is lookin pretty good to me. whats the rpm range is it? i already know i need springs, rockers and puchrods but do i need lifters with this cam? will i be turning high enough rpms to where i need to strengthen the block? give me the negatives of this cam
I dunno where it starts probaly around 2000ish but it makes power till around 6000ish so you would want to shift at 6300-6500. No need for lifters unless your miles are getting up there. You will not need to strengthen the block for this cam.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny you should mention that the XFI cams are hard on springs then a few post down you mention a BRE cam.
Just because you have the cc 503 does not make it the best. I agree with you it is a nice cam, but makes less torque and the same hp as the 465, while the 465 doesn't require you to spin the rpms as high. The higher rpm is the bad guy on a stock block with tight bearing clearances.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 AM

I plan on going with the basic hotcam kit. Excellent driveability, decent power. It leaves some power on the table, but it's an excellent all around cam for daily driving.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on going with the basic hotcam kit. Excellent driveability, decent power. It leaves some power on the table, but it's an excellent all around cam for daily driving.
You won't ever hear me bashing it! You would think that the posts on this forum would have everyone scared of the HCK espite it being one of the most proven combinations on the market.
There are degree's of modding for everyone. I see that the common sysnopsis here is if it is not bigger or faster than it is junk. When in fact it should have the emphasis on matching components to get them to perform at an expected level and have durability.
I also agree with going custom for a custom motor, but serously everyone that says that how many of you have actually talked to a custom cam grinder? How custom is that cam? There is not much else out there that can be done different for these cars than what is on the shelf, pretty much all covered by aftermarket in one form or another.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gatorhead
You won't ever hear me bashing it! You would think that the posts on this forum would have everyone scared of the HCK espite it being one of the most proven combinations on the market.
There are degree's of modding for everyone. I see that the common sysnopsis here is if it is not bigger or faster than it is junk. When in fact it should have the emphasis on matching components to get them to perform at an expected level and have durability.
I also agree with going custom for a custom motor, but serously everyone that says that how many of you have actually talked to a custom cam grinder? How custom is that cam? There is not much else out there that can be done different for these cars than what is on the shelf, pretty much all covered by aftermarket in one form or another.
I personally have talked to Bret Bauer on several occasions and AI once. The key is fixing the valve events to make everything perfect. Its like taking an off the-shelf cam and tweaking it to work even better for a particular setup. Its also about matching the duration exactly to where you want to shift and matched to your gearing/stall size. It can be tailored to your exact specs and plans for the car. Custom grinds that are sometimes smaller in duration compared to some off the-shelf cams that are larger will match or make more power. Its the way to go IMO but it isnt necessarily for everybody. There are some decent off the-shelf cams available no doubt that could be matched to your components perfectly such as the cc503 is to my 3600 stall and 3.73's but there is still some left out on the table out of the cam because of the valve events.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

When I think cam only I think "budget" If I was busting the $$$$$ for a "custom" gring, I don't really consider it to be a "budget" option. HCK, is a pretty godd bang for the buck but still needs better springs than what's supplied in the kit. I love my 233/239 but it does carry int othe higher revs, granted I opened the bearing clearences a touch when I did the rebuild but you may want to stay with the cc503 and bump to 1.6 rr's and run a beehive spring, that should keep you happy for a while.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I personally have talked to Bret Bauer on several occasions and AI once. The key is fixing the valve events to make everything perfect. Its like taking an off the-shelf cam and tweaking it to work even better for a particular setup. Its also about matching the duration exactly to where you want to shift and matched to your gearing/stall size. It can be tailored to your exact specs and plans for the car. Custom grinds that are sometimes smaller in duration compared to some off the-shelf cams that are larger will match or make more power. Its the way to go IMO but it isnt necessarily for everybody. There are some decent off the-shelf cams available no doubt that could be matched to your components perfectly such as the cc503 is to my 3600 stall and 3.73's but there is still some left out on the table out of the cam because of the valve events.
Exactly right about needing to match the cam to the combo. The problem is that people build their car one piece at a time for the most part, and don't know what their final product will be exactly at the time of the cam purchase. People buy the cam for the combination that they want rather than the cam for the combination that they have. Thats why I'm going with the Hotcam. Great all around cam and will pretty much work well with everything. Then I may go custom when I finalize the combination. I wouldn't get a custom cam unless I had all the other aspects of the build completed or in the process of completion.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Exactly right about needing to match the cam to the combo. The problem is that people build their car one piece at a time for the most part, and don't know what their final product will be exactly at the time of the cam purchase. People buy the cam for the combination that they want rather than the cam for the combination that they have. Thats why I'm going with the Hotcam. Great all around cam and will pretty much work well with everything. Then I may go custom when I finalize the combination. I wouldn't get a custom cam unless I had all the other aspects of the build completed or in the process of completion.
I agree thats a good point. That would be where a custom grind wouldnt necessarily be the best option because without a set plan you could piece together a bad setup but with a set plan or with the build complete it would be the best overall option.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

well what i was mainly looking for is, if on exists, a cam matched to the stock heads and intake. but i wanted somthing with more power than the hotcam. but just out of curiosity what are the wrhp numbers i would be looking at with the addition of the hot cam kit?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gatorhead
Funny you should mention that the XFI cams are hard on springs then a few post down you mention a BRE cam.
Just because you have the cc 503 does not make it the best. I agree with you it is a nice cam, but makes less torque and the same hp as the 465, while the 465 doesn't require you to spin the rpms as high. The higher rpm is the bad guy on a stock block with tight bearing clearances.
Mentioning the XFI cams are hard on springs and mentioning good about BRE cams has no relation. Im downing my own cam by saying custom is the way to go so how could I be saying its the best? The 503 is a very good choice for someone looking for an off the-shelf that has been proven time and time again, makes for a reliable daily driver, makes good power, sounds good, and gets the most out of stock heads without risking the short block. Im not saying the XFI doesnt perform better I do not know but I have heard more bad than good and would rather suggest a proven cam than one that isnt necessarily. The 831 is another I would recommened as much as the cc503. I wish I would have went with a BRE or AI custom cam initially but I didnt do my research and ended up with what I got. Am I happy? hell yeah but just frustrating to know a custom grind would had netted more power for the same size in duration.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 03-24-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: best cam only cam