Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of going M6 to 4l80

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinking of going M6 to 4l80

Well I been thinking of going with a 4L80 for awhile now, and i think it would be a good idea. It would allow me to go racing more and not worry about breaking like i do when i race with the M6 or i should say the lack of racing i have not done due to worring about breaking....

anyone gone from M6 to a auto and regretted it???
my car is not a race car but a nice street car so th400 is not a consideration

anyone know what parts i need for a swap????

opinions wanted
Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing it right now. Probably 75% done. There are a few good threads, search for 4l80e swap, you will see....this is whats needed for the 4l60e to 4l80e swap...read that. Itll give you a good idea.
I bought a junkyard 4l80e...800 buks. Stock 4l60e shifter, yank torque converter, speartech wiring harness, 4l80e crossmember, and a few other items. Hp tuners for new 4l80e tune.
Ill have a nice post in about a month....
Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

At first I thought about a fully manual 4l80 but now I think it would be nice to also have computer controlled shifts. A lot can be done to set shift points, and, I think even shift firmness at various throttle positions/speeds can be set etc.

Down the road I could do a wireless paddle shift. But I believe this would require a stand alone trani controller. (Another ~$700 and paddle shifter another ~$500.)

It'll cost a good amount of cash initially, but if it puts and end to clutch/M6 repair woes, the cost would weigh out in the long run. Not to mention the car would ET better with an auto....plus we can still shift if we want, no clutch tho!

Parts list:

-4l80e (but what level build? trans brake?, red clutches, shift kit, etc?)
-controller (optional, the GM computer can be programmed to control it?)
-cross member (need to be custom made?)
-console & shifter
-bell housing
-flex plate
-pedals
-speartech harness (Do they make one for this swap?)
-trani cooler
-converter
-speedo
-different drive shaft?

Did I forget anything?

For me, this idea is still just a pipe dream, still researching what is involved.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

-A stock 4L80e is pretty stout. But, while it is out I would do a mild build on it. It does not really need a lot to be built. I would feel confident with the sprag upgrade, replacement OEM parts and upgraded clutches. Everything else should be good. Shift kit should be Transgo HDII. Do not run a transbreak unless you are more hardcore than I, in which I could not help you.
-Controller from TCI is a nice piece of equipment. It allows you real time adjustments on the fly. Very nice, very pricey, very unnecessary. The GM PCM can be programmed to control the shift sequences and all if it is a 99+ year. A 1998pcm car will have to do a 99pcm conversion which is a time consuming PITA. Or, the 1998 guys could also say **** the shift sequences and run full manual valve bodies and just kinda ignore that eletrical confusion.
-Crossmember can be bought for the conversion from Yank
-I used my factory shifter and console so one from a similar year A4 should be fine.
-Speartech harness-yes they do make one. I actually had to call them to order it because it was not listed on their site.
-Tranny cooler, **** get the biggest one you can fit under there
-I believe Vigilante and Yank have the 4L80e/LSx converter. Make sure the converter is not just any old 4L80e converter, it must be designed to go to the LSx.
- You will need a slip yoke from a TH400. I do not know which one it was specifically, but a quick search should yield you some more info.
-I am still using the stock driveshaft,it is completely untouched. It needs to be shortened some, but, it works.

As far as forgetting anything, lokar flexible tranny fluid dipstick for real. Don't forget the giant sledge hammer to beat the **** out the tranny to get it to fit, have fun =)

Quick Reply: thinking of going M6 to 4l80