Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear Engine Humming...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Rear Engine Humming...?

Hey guys, i've got a weird noise coming from the rear of my engine. I almost wanna say that it could be clutch related but not sure... The engine runs too good and healthy for me to really think that it's the motor. Oil Pressure is good, temps are good... Yet when i'm sitting still at idle i can hear this humming noise. I pop the hood and it's much louder coming from the rear of the engine. I have an aluminum intake manifold so of course it's amplified through there... I wonder if a bad pilot bearing could be causing something like this? Like i said, the engine sounds and runs fine... but when i pop the hood and listen the humming is definately coming from the rear of it, maybe where the tranny mounts to it... any ideas?

99 LS1, 6spd stick

228 cam, AFR 205 heads

weiand aluminum intake manifold

LT's, ORY

DFX Centorforce clutch disk
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

bump...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

proly going to need some more info.. does it get louder when on the gas, in gear out of gear, with the clutch in etc ..
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

No... it does not get louder when on the gas

I can only hear it when stopped, and ideling... whether the clutch is in or out, in gear or out of gear it doesn't matter (well, i shouldn't say in gear i guess... but at that point i can't hear it if i'm driving), it's still there... I can actually lightly feel a vibration in the clutch pedal that is in conjunction with the humming noise... it's an extremely light vibration but enough to barely feel on the clutch pedal...

Last edited by Soul TKR; 04-01-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

lately, I will say I have noticed the car popping out of 3rd and reverse... not often, but every once in a while...

but this noise just recently started, and it's been popping out of gear for a couple months now... I just have to make extra sure that it's all the way in gear before I let out on the clutch pedal...

I will say, that in the last day or so, when feathering out and taking off in 1st gear (not going fast or anything) i'll hear a squeal type of noise that again sounds like it's coming from the clutch area...

I just wonder if the constant humming, and all these other issues are related, and hopefully not engine related...
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone?