LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C not cold, fans won't turn on. Same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C not cold, fans won't turn on. Same problem?

First off, my AC does not get cold, and my fans will not turn on with my AC. I am thinking that there is something wrong that connects the two. What would I begin to look at? Im guessing something that actuates the A/C and the fans simultaneously is bad. When I turn it over to AC, i don't hear anything at all kick in.

On a second question. I want to get a new waterpump for summertime, and I am interested in an EWP. Would it be worth it to get a new WP and an EWP, or just throw an EWP on my current old WP?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

I'll take a shot at question #1.. Turning on the air does not directly run the fan(s). The PCM/ECM sensing AC high pressure is what really does it. Check your AC system you need some refrigerant in there to pick the AC clutch, or it could be something else electrical.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

It won't accept refrigerant, I'm guessing mainly because the AC doesn't actually engage itself on..
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

A fully charged AC system will read about 75 lbs (low press test point) with the engine off and will not take much refrigerant if any without running the compressor, an empty system will take a can (12 oz) without problems, so you may have stuff in there. To verify you need AC gauges or with the key on and the engine off the red/black wire on the AC pressure switch should read 1 to 1.5 volts to battery ground if there is refrigerant in the system. If refrigerant and pressure sensor is ok, it could be AC clutch fuse, thermal temp sensor in evaporator, AC switch, AC clutch, wiring, or PCM. From here on I could only start guessing. Maybe someone in another forum could help.

Last edited by bobdec; 04-03-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when diagnosing ac i always check the condensor fan first to see if its running. then the compressor to see if the clutch is engaging. low refrigerant will cause the low pressure switch to prevent the compressor from kicking on. ac gages really help too.

for the second question, absolutely no reason to buy a new wp to make an ewp unless something is wrong with the casing. everything internal gets thrown away.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok but nothing is engaging when I flip the switch, no compressor or anything

Quick Reply: A/C not cold, fans won't turn on. Same problem?