Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

i need guidance on a cam comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i need guidance on a cam comparison

which of these two grinds do YOU think would be better for a stock cube DD APS motor (ls6 heads + ported LS2 intake)

Choice 1: 207/220 .571"/.578" 118.5 centerline

Choice 2: 208/230 .554"/.546" 121 centerline

i'm kind of in the dark on the whole world of cams but i'm vaugely aware of the "good" things to look for in a turbo cam like a longer exhaust duration and a big old lsa - but in reality i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to picking which cam is the best. 1.7 ratio rockers are a must. other than that, which one do you think will make more power and/or be more driveable??
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neither,both are way wrong.send me a pm with your setup and i'll hook you up with a good cam
Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told that a lsa of a 112 to 114 is good for turbos. I myself am building a twin turbo setup for my LS1. But i'm still not sure of how big of a cam I need. I'm only going to be boosting around 12psi.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look similar to these..
01 ZO6 cam: 204/211 .525/.525 -116 LSA
Lingenfelter GT2 205/212 .540/.540 –116.5CL

02-03 ZO6 cam: 204/218 .551/.547 -117.5 LSA
Lingenfelter GT2-3 207/220 .571/.578 –118.5CL

05-07 ZO6 cam 210/230 .561/.557 –120.5 LSA
Lingenfelter GT7 208/230 .554/.546 –121CL

Those last two are the main lingenfelter turbo cams. Similar to z06 cams.And their is zero reason not to run them. I am going to be running the gt7 cam. Aps is getting good results with the ling gt 11 cam but it has too much lift for me. I don't want to be changing out springs every 20,000 miles maybe.Or get valve float from such high lift with boost.

And to the guy thats says these cams won't work..well lingenfelter has used them in almost every one of their turbo builds and still does.Especially the gt7 which has replaced the gt2-3 in most of their cars.

The thing is...turbos seem to work pretty good with just about any cam.So guys have their theories..reverse split, no split, high lift, mid lift, low lsa,high lsa. And like said turbo cars seem to make good power with any of them.
The advantage of the two above cams are stocklike idle and not too hard on springs. Both will be good daily drivers and super easy to tune for.
A 114lsa cam is normally considered nice for supers and nitrous. Under that was not usually considered that favorable to FI. But again guys are running them.

We really need some mag like high tech performance to do an article on cams in same turbo engine. And use reverse split, no split, normal split and some different lifts and lsa numbers. With quick change cam cover like edelbrock makes it could be done pretty easily now. Be interesting to see the results.

Also though it might make some difference on different engine and turbo setups. I can't say when I will have some numbers for you and my combo is not exactly stock displacement. With a 408 and afr heads and fast 90/90 but still want a daily driver not a race car. I think the gt7 might be a bit small on my 408 but again lingenfelter has run it on a 427 in the past with decent results. And not worried if give up a few hp but gain in driveabilty and around town torque and power curve. I have no dynojet within 500 miles of me so likely be next year when get it dynoed at earliest.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

And sorry meant no disrespect to VA speeds post. I am sure he has his theories and would welcome any dyno tests to back up his ideas on the subject. Always good to keep an open mind. I just know my main criteria..I wanted no lope really and easy tuning. I wanted not that much more than mid 550s lift and as for split well like said trying the standard split first. Its not that hard to change out cams later if someone can give me proof of their cam theories.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
neither,both are way wrong.send me a pm with your setup and i'll hook you up with a good cam
I agree both of your choices are poor choices. No need for the large split. Turbos are not too picky with cam choice. I put down 700whp with my na comp cam 222/224/.581/114 on stock cubes on only 10 lbs boost.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Turbo setup generally tend to favor reverse split cams where the intake side has more duration and lift. For example 226/218//598/578//116. The LSA number greatly depends on who you talk to, but something in the range of 114 to 118 should work well.

Keith
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

guys i really do appreciate all of the feedback - negative and postive - but i'd still like to know which one of the two would be better for my particular application. i know that there are so many different opinions on turbo cams out there, this thread proves that and its only 7 posts long, so if it HAD to be one of these two, which do you think would make more power and/or provide better drivability.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by TSP that a good cam for a 408 TT is around 236/242 with a low .6xx lift and 114 or 115 lsa.

I ask the question of what cam do I neet with a TT upping the boost to be 800+

To the OP the first I guess, but you would be better served with another. Is this being given to you for no cost, or is there a particular reason you want it??
Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Cam two is the one lingenfelter now uses on most all their turbo cars. It will idle very smooth and is not that high lift. As for the theories on reverse split, no split and normal split well liingenfelter likes normal split. If you go on their site which I assume you have you will see those two cams are mentioned as their FI cams.
The gt2-3 was the old one,used in many of their turbo and super cars for many years. A bit more lift a bit less lsa a bit less duration than new gt 7.

As said without some magazine shoot out its not going to be that easy to prove which cam including lower lsas like 114 or different splits is better. Turbo cars make a lot of power with just about any cam.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

from what i can see, it looks as thought the gt7 gives up some power to the 2-3 on the bottom end by dropping so much lift. it probably won't even really be noticable at those (daily driving) rpms tho, don't you think? if not please say so lol.

my99taws6: so are you saying that the gt7 is the next generation of turbo cam from lingenfelter or that it's just a more boost oriented cam, whereas the gt2-3 is an n/a cam that also works well with boost?

why am i so tied to lingenfelter? it's the name mostly to be honest. they've been building serious and realiable turbo cars for a long time and i can't even remember the last time i heard someone bash their products. not to say that all of the other guys out there are producing or recommending chincy cams, but if given the choice i'd prefer to go with a proven name.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Well that about sums it up. Lingenfelter has been building super fast and SUPER streetable turbo and supercharged cars for a long time.They have set numberous records and they have a great rep. So like you figure they should know a thing or two. Note lingenfelter does not make the cams.They are made by comp for them. And they might have different ramp rates maybe then the z06 gm cams.They are very close in specs but ramp rates don't show in specs.

The gt2-3 was their first supercharged and turbo cam. It is a bit more lift than the gt7 but less duration. So not sure what the effect is on the powerband exactly. Would think its top end that the lift would make more difference maybe. But remember higher lift more need to change out valve springs more often and more chance of valve float depending on springs used and forced air tends to make valves float easier with boost in the engine. So one reason I went with the gt7 that and got it for a great price used.
So figure on giving it a try. APS went with the way higher lift gt11 not specifically mentioned on ling site for forced induction. That one is way too much lift for me to feel comfortable. My springs are 8019 afr and rated for .650 lift but thats NA. Boosted might get some float with a cam that is near the top of their range. Should be really safe with gt7 and 8019 springs.
If I get terrible numbers well might change out cams. If didn't have my current one to try would think something with a little closer normal split like 224/230 580ish lift and 116 to 118 would be not too bad. You could also run 1.8 rockers on the gt7 unless its not recommended by lingenfelter due to maybe the ramp rates used. That would give lift similar to the gt2-3.Thats another option I have been kicking around.

As I said everyone has their ideas on the perfect turbo cam. Until we see actual dyno back to back cam tests on same exact combo then its hard to know exactly what works best. And best for one combo might not be best for another. Alll I know is I expect to have way more hp than traction around town with my aps and 408. Even if only run my car at 700rwhp and 10psi or whatever that will be plenty power on my nittos. I am running around with 425 or maybe 450 hp now and that seems not too bad. NA still of course right now on the 346 with MTI old b1 cam and fast 90/90 and pulleys ,no lid anymore even ,no bigger tb. Trust me you can run just about any cam in there even stock and you will put out some good street power.

Quick Reply: i need guidance on a cam comparison