Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple basic ls1 newbie ????s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple basic ls1 newbie ????s

Hey guys i just sold my heads/cam lt1 and am about to buy a M6 ws6 Ls1 what is the major difference between ls1 and ls2 besides displacement also I want to do a cam what is a good street cam to run with cam rockers and longtubes only no head or bottom end work and still be streetable and reliable as well basically my goal is to still drive it like its stock and not worry about breaking anything just having a little bit more power maybe 380-400 rwhp and sorry about all the stupid questions but again im new to the big bad LS1 but what are the known problems on the motors/ trans (prone to spinning bearings, sinking valves ect..)
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

known problems are debt
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah good point they arent cheap thats for sure lol
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Yup and lack of money to go along with the debt
Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me paint a little picture. I wanted to do a simple cam swap, which I'm doing now. So I figured Cam and springs.....no biggie. Then I figured while I got the front cover off, might as well updrade the oil pump and timing chain. Then looking at it again, I figured well, since I'm that far, hardened pushrods would be a good idea. Then I noticed the oil on the TB so now a PCV catch can system!! Then all the little tools to do it with that I don't have and honestly didnt figure in.

Long and short, I am making my engine stronger, but addiction is a PITA!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the screaming wife!!!!!!! Well, I can always live in the garage!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Z28_98
Let me paint a little picture. I wanted to do a simple cam swap, which I'm doing now. So I figured Cam and springs.....no biggie. Then I figured while I got the front cover off, might as well updrade the oil pump and timing chain. Then looking at it again, I figured well, since I'm that far, hardened pushrods would be a good idea. Then I noticed the oil on the TB so now a PCV catch can system!! Then all the little tools to do it with that I don't have and honestly didnt figure in.

Long and short, I am making my engine stronger, but addiction is a PITA!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the screaming wife!!!!!!! Well, I can always live in the garage!!!
My exact thinking....except I have no wife...havent made that mistake yet
Old 04-03-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

You can go with a 224 cam and some comp 918 springs. I do agree with LS1Z28 98 if you are going that far you should do a oil pump and timing chain and push rods. Stock rockers are fine don't go and waste money on rockers.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks i was also wondering how stock rockers held up but i will look into that set up as well PM me about why i need 2 upgrade oil pump
Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1sick-Z
Hey guys i just sold my heads/cam lt1 and am about to buy a M6 ws6 Ls1 what is the major difference between ls1 and ls2 besides displacement also I want to do a cam what is a good street cam to run with cam rockers and longtubes only no head or bottom end work and still be streetable and reliable as well basically my goal is to still drive it like its stock and not worry about breaking anything just having a little bit more power maybe 380-400 rwhp and sorry about all the stupid questions but again im new to the big bad LS1 but what are the known problems on the motors/ trans (prone to spinning bearings, sinking valves ect..)
Holy run-on sentence Batman!!!!!!!!!