General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98+ TA Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98+ TA Door Panel

Can someone please tell me how difficult it is to access the window motor on the driver's side of a post 98 TA? There was a website that had step by step instructions on how to open the door panels, but it turned out that the panel depicted was from a previous model, which I assume is the pre-98 models.

Is there a tutorial for 98-02 panels?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both my cars are 95s, but the same general principles should apply. I've heard that 1993-2002 door panels are interchangeable. Fasteners should be in the same locations and the door should come off the same way.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

The button panel on the 98+ models are closer to the wall of the door panel, where the side that the tutorial says to stick in a flathead screwdriver to release the latch is flush with the door panel. This leaves no wiggle room for the screwdriver to release the button panel. Is the release latch on a different side in 98+ models? Also, the door handle is not detachable from the button panel portion, as opposed to the model in the tutorial. Should I just remove the entire door panel at once?

Does the door-lock handle come out the same way? I tried pulling plastic handle by the front inwards (towards inside of car), but it wouldn't come loose. I pulled quite hard, and didn't want to risk pulling harder and damaging it.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe if you could post a picture of your door panel I could be more helpful. When I run into problems like this on my own car I usually try removing the passenger side equivalent first. That way, if I break something, at least it's on the passenger side instead of the driver's where I have to deal with it every time I drive the car.

I'm sure there's someone else on this site that has some experience with your model...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

My door is exactly the same as the one pictured here:

In that tutorial, the first thing that is done is the removal of the button (for windows/lock) panel by sticking a flathead screwdriver in the middle of the inside gap (closest to door panel) to release the latch. The second thing is removing the screws to detach the armbar from the electric panel where the button panel just came off of. The problem is that with this door model, I can't accomplish these first two steps because 1, I can't reach the button panel release with a screwdriver, and 2, the armbar doesn't detach from the electric panel just ahead of it--it's all 1 piece. The tutorial proceeds from these two steps, and I'm not sure if I can go about the other steps without doing these first.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

1) Pry up window/lock console from the door handle. You can use a screwdriver to do this, using a cloth to prevent scratches. The console comes straight up and is just held in with clips. Two wiring connectors pull straight out and the rear view mirror connector has a latching connector. Set the console aside.

2) Lock the door, and insert a small screw driver behind the button. (You may use a cloth to keep from scratching the plastic. Unlock the door while you pry on the end of the button and it should pop off.

3) Remove the phillips head trim screw holding the plastic panel that surrounds the handle and lock button. (There is a light socket molded in to the back of this trim piece.) Remove the trim carefully and twist the light socket to the left to disengage it from the trim.

4) Remove the trim piece covering the end of the rear view mirror. (1 phillips head screw) Be careful to retain the three plastic pins on the backside that align the trim piece to the door. You may also have a piece of insulating foam behind this trim, which you will want to retain. (Cuts down road noise.)

5) Remove the 4 door screws with a long #3 phillips screwdriver. (If you don't use a #3 you can easily strip the screws.) There are 4 screws: 1 behind the door handle panel you just removed, 1 in the map tray at the bottom of the door, 1 under the arm rest beneath the lock/window console, and 1 under the arm rest towards the back of the map pocket.

6) The door panel should now slide upward fairly easily. As you take the panel off, you'll need to disengage the tweeter speaker connection on the front of the panel.

The door goes back on the in the reverse. When you put the door panel back on, you may have to slide down the front corner first (slightly before the rear) to get it right around the door speaker.