Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C.A.T. brand internals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C.A.T. brand internals?

I was just bored searching for info on my upcoming refreshening of my stock LS1 block, and came across these parts. Prices seem too good to be true, but that's what people said about Eagle at first too. Now mind you, this isn't for a beast of a motor. This would go into my GMC Sierra. So I was thinking either stay stock cubes, or build a 383 from it all. Doesn't look like a bad idea to get their rods and maybe stroker crank if they agreed to let me have them checked out by a machine shop first.

Their underdrive pulleys look like a great price too.

http://www.catpep.com/default.htm
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran one of there 4.25 stroke cast steel cranks in my 505 big block 2 years ago and never had any problems with it. The only drawback was that it was way out of balance and i could have bought the more expensive eagle crank for what it cost to balance
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

I would buy some of their products from a reputable shop. But I would not buy them from ebay.
I don't know if they sell defects or what but I got lucky with my first ever ebay purchase, the guy had his ebay store set up in a garage and it was right down the road from my house.
I stopped by to look and everything was wrapped in plain plastic and piled in white shipping boxes.
I did buy some pep head bolts for a big block and they were of good quality, they even had sealer on the threads, but they were in a labled and sealed box unlike the other stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tolerances are way loose on the CAT Chinese imported machine parts. Quality control is virtually nonexistent. I've heard both good and bad. Your best bet is to go with a more reputable ESP or Scat setup and avoid the possible headaches all together.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

CAT stuff is made in china and finished in the US, just like SCAT and Eagle. IMO get any of them but you should have them all balanced and checked before installing, no matter the brand.

Callies looks really nice though.