General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Speedometer Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Calibration

My '00 SS speedometer reads a few mph high. I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he claims the rear is stock - but he thinks the calibration is off because of the white face dash he put in.

Does that make sense? Isn't the white face just an overlay?

What could be done to screw up / and now fix the calibration?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless he actually messed with the needle and broke the mechanism...the speedo is done through something like efi live
Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did: BEFORE you take out the gauge cluster, tape down all needles where they are NOW!....Take the plastic protective overlay off, then, Put the needle on Zero, tape it down, put the cluster back in, take tape off of needle. Leave the Plastic overlay off for now, get a friend with a car, ride down the road in your car have him pace you at 10 mph, check your speedo, then 20 mph, check it again, then maybe 45 mph, check it again (you get the picture). If that doesn't work, you might have to go to a dealer.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes - It is because of the overlay. The needle needs to be removed from the post to replace the overlay.

The fix is very easy if you have access to a portable GPS:
- Set up the portable GPS in "map" mode and drive down a completely straight street.
- As you are driving, read the needle and the speed on the GPS. (The GPS will give you a 100% correct speed on a straight road.) Try several different speeds, like around 25 mph and 45 mph to confirm how far off you are.
- After you get the difference, take the cluster out, put it on a flat surface, pull the needle directly off of the post (carefully) and then put it back on subtracting/adding your difference.
- Re-test and enjoy.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

my white face gauge overlay didnt mess up my speedo, or atleast i hope, i havent gotten pulled over yet lol
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes - It is because of the overlay. The needle needs to be removed from the post to replace the overlay.

The fix is very easy if you have access to a portable GPS:
- Set up the portable GPS in "map" mode and drive down a completely straight street.
- As you are driving, read the needle and the speed on the GPS. (The GPS will give you a 100% correct speed on a straight road.) Try several different speeds, like around 25 mph and 45 mph to confirm how far off you are.
- After you get the difference, take the cluster out, put it on a flat surface, pull the needle directly off of the post (carefully) and then put it back on subtracting/adding your difference.
- Re-test and enjoy.
That makes sense. The guy was a bit of a "shoemaker" (as my father used to say) with everything he did with this car. Doesn't surprise me that he messed up the needle.

How tough is it to take out the cluster?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Very easy. If I recall correctly, you need to take off the cover under the steering column first. Then put the plastic bezel around the gagues. Then you unscrew the cluster and it comes straight out.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The way I've done it is basically the same. Only pull the needle off and just lightly put it on reinstall the cluster wo the lense and drive the vehicle while looking at the scanner. Pull the needle while watching the speed and reinstall it until it's correct. I've got them dead on many times doing it this way. Find a non populated road to do it on. We have a bunch of them where we live so it's easy to do. I don't recommend crowded areas.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Find a non populated road to do it on. We have a bunch of them where we live so it's easy to do. I don't recommend crowded areas.
Hmm, might have to drive to Texas for that - that type of road is kind of a rarity in the north end of NJ.

But... seems like the perfect method. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Calibration