Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E or 200 4R? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E or 200 4R? HELP!

OK, I know I'm new here and the search just doesn't result in the answers I was hoping for.

I have a Bone stock 2000 LS1/4L60E, in my 1986 RX7. Just recently it began to act up, and I posted here about it.

Anyway my question NOW is :

#1 Which trans would you chose if you had to?

I have a working 200 4r multi pattern in my garage, but it will also need a rebuild since its been sitting for a long time.

#2 is it possible to hook up the 2004r to an LS1? If so how much headache is it with the TV cable?

My impending future is saying I have to build a transmission, SIGH!

I just would like some more knowledgable opinions on which one I should build!

Please, if you have an opinion on ether one, would you be so kind as to suggest a good overhaul kit for each.

tranny's are not my specialty but I have no trouble building one if I have to
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation would be to stick with the 4l60E. It can handle gobs of horsepower when built properly. And when I say that I mean built by someone who knows and understands that transmission at a high level.

In your application the vehicle is light, and that is a big bonus when considering the 4l60E. It does have it's structural limitations. But, in lighter vehicles it is not nearly stressed out.

As far as overhaul kits... I do not recommend you build this transmission if you do not have a very keen understanding of automatics and a wealth of patience. Patience meaning it might need to come out a couple of times before it is right. We've seen it more than a few times here when guys try to do it themselves. I don't mean that as a slight to your technical abilities... I mean that there is a very high degree of difficulty in building one of these units right the 1st time.

If you woud like to discuss some options feel free to give me a shout... I'll give you some food for thought.

Good Luck!

g
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the slow reply, I got nailed with a virus attack and my comp was down for 2 days lol.

As far as My knowledge? Well I'm a 15 year vet of heavy equipment repair so I'm definately not afraid of the challenge, however, that fact also leaves me in an inexperienced position.

Though I'm not worried about the actual build I would be interested in any suggestions one might have in order to make it a ONE TIME DEAL.

I hate to do things twice when its not really needed. My ignorance on the trans would probably make it rather difficult. Good tech books, and good instructions on what to do with what would be a big help.

Thanks for the input its much appreciated. The only reason I was considering the 2004r was well its on the floor now so I could in theory have it all ready to go when I'm ready to pull out the 4L60E. That and from what I've read the 2004r is a little better built for strength, but thats what I've read.

I've also read that the transgo kits are "supposed" to be the best. I have no first hand knowledge of that.

As for right now? I'm in the gathering of info stage of this so, I will read and read and read, til I'm comfortable with the idea,(or til I puke)LOL.

Then I usually move quickly to what I'm going to do.

The trans does slip but its still going and I figured if I can baby it a while I might get a little enjoyment out of the car this summer after working on it for 2 years. I guess no drags this year lol.

I'm not in the market for a 500 plus HP car but maybe 400HP with some little mods in the short term future. I would like it to handle most anything I can throw at it though, I still have to deal with the gearing in the rear as it will fail with a good trans or a weak one. I'm probably going to do the 8.8 ford IRS swap this winter to get better gears and some real strength back there.

Thanks Again. I'll be reading here alot for now lol!