Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall and trex on stock tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall and trex on stock tranny

First of all, I want to build a cam only(for now) ls1 that is not my daily driver and will be used for primarily racing.

I do not have to money for a new transmission right now, so is it worth it to put a 4000 + stall on a stock 4l60e tranny, and keeping stock shift points?

Is it worth it to put on a trex with stock shift points? I know my set up won't be optimal, but will I be leaving a lot out on the table if I keep the stock shift points? Mine only has 17k for whatever its worth, and yes I will be getting a cooler and shift kit. I really don't want to up the shift points for obvious reasons until I can upgrade to a built 4l60e.

also what is the stock shift points anyways? I have never really paid attention.

I know I might be stretching the limits of a stock 4l60e, but hopefully it will last at least a little bit since I will be driving this car only once or twice a week, and will try my best to keep my foot off the floor.

thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

bump someones gotta know...
Old 04-26-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

yes do the stall, but I would pick a different cam. IMO, Trex's and other bigger cams should only be used with m6's and A3's. Why? Because to optimize a big cam setup with an auto you're going to need a 5000+ stall and I havent seen anyone that can make an efficient 4L60E verter that stalls that high. Can you do say a PT4400/Trex combo and have good results? Yes, but the combo is going to be far from optimal and you can prolly make a torquer/F13 cam go just as fast, if not faster, just because the cam and stall are matched better.

Regardless of what cam you go with, the stock shift points will leave a lot on the table. However, you'll still see a good gain.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say a 4000 stall will work. however, you need to match your shift points to your cam or you will be wasting your time. a small cam with an increase of a couple hundred rpms would be just fine.