Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about fluid level

When i manually shift my trany for roll races (i know i know, i should never manually shift but its a turd if i dont) im having trouble with the 2-3 shift, ill shift early around 5k and it will still bounce off the limiter and ill have to let out a little and get back in it for it to shift. It never has a problem under normal driving or WOT if i leave it in D... So i check my fluid level today and its a little low, and my buddy told me to add some fluid and it will probly help it...

So i go to autozone to get some trany fluid and see another one of my friends (who just graduated from wyotech) and tell him the problem and he then tells me not to add any, he said if i fill it up all the way it will slosh around and cause foam and my tranny will go out... So what should i do? which freind is full of ****? Also im not sure as to what fluid is in it now, i assume the factory fluid seeing as how i bought the car with 35k on the clock and it had no mods whatsoever so is there fluid that mixes better than others?

Last edited by nor-texLS1; 04-27-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

bump......
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

mine did the same thing. you arent commanding the tranny to do anything by moving that lever. its all in the computers hands. this is what i do....if i roll race from second i bring it down manually so my rpms are up before the race. i take off in second and shift early and let the computer take me to red line and shift. the computers in these cars dont shift when you move the lever, not at WOT like what you are talking about.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
mine did the same thing. you arent commanding the tranny to do anything by moving that lever. its all in the computers hands. this is what i do....if i roll race from second i bring it down manually so my rpms are up before the race. i take off in second and shift early and let the computer take me to red line and shift. the computers in these cars dont shift when you move the lever, not at WOT like what you are talking about.
You are actually fine doing that IMO

Originally Posted by nor-texLS1
When i manually shift my trany for roll races (i know i know, i should never manually shift but its a turd if i dont) im having trouble with the 2-3 shift, ill shift early around 5k and it will still bounce off the limiter and ill have to let out a little and get back in it for it to shift. It never has a problem under normal driving or WOT if i leave it in D... So i check my fluid level today and its a little low, and my buddy told me to add some fluid and it will probly help it...

So i go to autozone to get some trany fluid and see another one of my friends (who just graduated from wyotech) and tell him the problem and he then tells me not to add any, he said if i fill it up all the way it will slosh around and cause foam and my tranny will go out... So what should i do? which freind is full of ****? Also im not sure as to what fluid is in it now, i assume the factory fluid seeing as how i bought the car with 35k on the clock and it had no mods whatsoever so is there fluid that mixes better than others?
Add fluid to top of cross hatch or just over hot

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^right but what i was saying is i dont wait till i NEED to shift to click it up to D. i do it early bc the computer wont command it at WOT anyway and i have bumped the limiter before trying to wait till the last sec.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

k, thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

fill the tranny, make sure the car is on in park etc etc.

but as the manually shifting thing, i do it as well from a roll race. the minute i hit it, i throw the shifter up into D. so i do not hit the limiter.

in first gear i used to have issues when i was a novice at how the auto worked in the fbody. First gear ends fast, and even if i knock it up into second before it shifts it still hits the limiter. so now if i roll from first or second, i pop it into drive immediatly after i go WOT. havent had an issue yet doing it that way.

the worst thing to do unless you have a manual valvebody is wait to shift at redline, the car will not do it. and you will hit the limiter
Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

on a stock tranny, for it to hit in time u need to go from 2nd to D at 4500rpms or as close to that as possible....beleive me, i did it for about 3 years...lol
Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

alright, gonna have to try it out tommorow and see how it goes..thanks