Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem w/ Reverse T56

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem w/ Reverse T56

Hi I'm new, I just posted an introduction. I've been surfing the site for a little and I thought I'd post my problem.

My T-56 was rebuilt here in MI by a company called "D&D" less then 2000 miles ago, however the reverse seems to have started to take a dump on me.

When I go to put it in reverse while the car is running it will grind like I'm not even pushing the clutch in, sometimes however it will go into reverse.. Most of the time it grinds is when the trans. has warmed up, I usually have to shut the car off then shift it into reverse then start her back up to get it into reverse.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a clutch issue. Does it grind in any other gear? Otherwise it sounds like the syncro is toast.....and if it's been grinding for awhile it's pretty safe to say the reverse gear and the slider teeth are damaged and need replaced.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

call D&D, they are a dolid company and should be able to advise what the deal is.

it "sounds" like a clutch disengagement issue. is this a LT1??

PP bolts need to be torqued to 22 ft lbs for the pull type clutch. any more and clutch won't disengage.

for a clutch disengagement test, put tranny in 2nd with clutch pushed in while another person rotates the tires. there should be no resistance other than what you would feel if car was in neutral and spining the tires by hand. if resistance than clutch is draging...you would need to find out why (PP bolts to tight)
Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with D&D doing the trans. I am not the original owner, so I doubt they'll warranty it.

Yes it is an LT. However it doesn't grind all of the time. Also, it does not grind any-other gear.