Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to shave doors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to shave doors?

START! DO NOT give reasons NOT TO! I AM NOT INTERESTED! I WANT TO DO IT! END OF DISCUSSION!

Had to I put the "required" statements in up front...

Now, how do I do it RIGHT? Since F-bodies have fiberglass doors an issue seems to be mentioned:

- what keeps popping up is the issue of preventing "shrinkage" (I'll call it that) of the filled area (where over time the filled area stands out).

I have seen many cars with shaved doors (both pictures and in person), both F-bodies and Vettes, and have never personally seen this "shrinkage" (but that does not mean it does not happen).

I would like to do this myself (so please avoid the simple "just take it to someone" statement) even if I have to practice on something else first.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just talked to my dad about it, i was on the phone when i read this thread, he shaved his 1940 ford pickup he built a while back, all i got out of him was its not hard just take your time, he wasnt able to go through it w/ me because he had someone from work callin
Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but thats on metal, this is smc, whole different world, i do handles like this, i cut a 1/4 of an inch around the hole to avoid seeing the line after the material settles down
any kind of fab`n work always make a template before you go making anything

so i would use like from another door using your template cut a piece out, lightly grind, the piece and the door, and inside the door, resin/matt,resin,matt, make sure you use a brush to work out air bubbles
now even though these doors are smc/ fiberglass does stick very well to the material, ok so in between layers of fiberglass/resin let it dry to avoid heat
i say the most 2 coats of resin/matt inside and out
lightly grind the out side to shape , now apply a coat of "bondo", sand to shape, apply a finshing glaze, between each coat of bondo and glaze, using your D.A. to feather the paint using 80 to 120, start shaping the bondo with 36-40, then the bondo with 80-120, the finishing glaze with 120-180
its not really that hard to do it just takes patience, pratice, experience,
the best shaved door handle kit on the market to day is spal, awesome product, tech support is great, warrantied, jaycorptech.com is who i use,
if ya need any help let me know
Old 05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

so let me see if I understand your process:

- cut my door 1/4" around the handle area (the recess)
- cut a section out of a donor door (junker out of a wrecking yard)
- grind/file/sand the donor piece to just fit into the hole
- lay glass on the inside to secure everything
- grind/file/sand the outside surface to get a smooth shape
- apply body filler to take care of minor imperfections
- sand everything smooth
- paint

sound right?