Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise?

I've got a complete ls1 motor out of a 99 vette that was flooded durning katrina for $700. I am going to rebuild the motor due to the guy that had it before ran nitrous and had blew a hole in one of the pistions. I already have the heads off of a 02 z06 which im putting on the motor. Are there any aftermarket cams that can be used with the stock z06 heads that will squeeze more power out?

I am asking because i am new to engine building, and my friend (a honda guy) said the heads and cam need to be closely matched.

Also I was checking out a site called flatlander racing for the rebuild kit. Has anyone delt with them before? Any good or bad reviews? They seem to be the most reasonable for a master rebuild kit for 1209 which includes Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Oil Pump, Freeze Plugs, Camshaft, Lifters, Pre-lube, and Timing Set, and Valley Pan (if applicable).
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So i'm assuming it was submerged? You will need all new cam bearings, rod bearings, piston rings, probably a hone, and to have the crank machined. .010 under. no to mention a new piston. A nice 224 cam would be very streetable for those heads and make some descent power. A set of heads does need to be matched with a cam for maximun power, but cam only you will still make a good ammount of power. I would say you would gain much more from installing a larger aftermarket cam than from just installing LS6 heads. Doing both would benefit you though.