Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Problems ------

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problems ------

Alright just got done with heads and cam swap on a 98 camaro and installed new oil pump and all that, the problem is that at idle oil pressure will jump beteween 0-30 psi and 40-60 when revved. Its is suppost to be a high volumn pump and i did reuse the same o-ring with 80K on it...stupid so i torn down and pulled old ring out to replace and looks fine which made me wonder if it could be the pump itself. I installed a rollermaster double roller timing set and you need to shim the oil pump. instructions said to use RTV on shims and could oil be bleeding through shims? should I disassemble the pump check for damage before i go back together? any info would help thank.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Its definitely going to be the oil pump o-ring if you reused it, very common mistake. The other thing that will help is to bent the pickup tube outwards to the front of the car slightly as the oil pump spacers will put extra stress on the o-ring and it will not be centered in the oil pump.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks i'll try to bend the tube out a bit, i did pull the pump apart and not damage so it should be that. I'm putting it together now so i'll let you know if it worked