Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heres a good story about crankcase pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heres a good story about crankcase pressure

I recently had heads and cam done on my car by a local shop and also had a typhoon intake put on. they call me the day that they are delivering it back to me and tell me that there is a whistle from back pressure in the manifold and not to be alarmed. I get the car and it sounds like a tea pot start it up and rev it a couple of times it starts to whistle the heads are patriot 59cc and they raised the compression to 11;1 i beleive that this plays somewhat of a roll in crankcase pressure but anyways when you shut the car off it sounds like a teapot coming down from a boil one of my friends who is a mechanic heres the whistle and knows what it is right away if you take the dipstick up just a little when its whistling with the car running excess air pours out making a hiss and the whistle goes away . Its not properly vented and it looks like I have a bone to pick because to much pressure could blow out my seals just figured I would share any input on what you would do would be greatly appreciated thanks jon
Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Teching In

You could have a stuck PCV valve...just a thought. let us know if you find the problem
Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You didn't mention what kind of crankcase ventilation system you have ...
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

one would have to assume that patriot would have one on the head like a breather or something or one on my catch can but cant seem to find one I'm wondering how much hp its robbing
Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellabella
one would have to assume that patriot would have one on the head like a breather or something or one on my catch can but cant seem to find one I'm wondering how much hp its robbing
what? breathers dont go in the heads, they go in the valvecovers.

you say you have a catch can....what kind of pcv system are you running? your going to have to provide more info. did you take the pcv hoses off the valvecovers? do you have the stock valvecovers still ont he car?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You didn't mention what kind of crankcase ventilation system you have ...
Like RevGTO and 99ssleeper said, you need to give the info on your setup. How many miles on the motor, exactly what mods you have done to it, etc. It's good to just list all the mods in your sig then you don't have to do it every time you ask a question.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

sorry bout the head thing I know they go on the valve covers but they are the stock valve covers and as far as I know it should be the stock pcv system this is one part that I am not that famaliar with
Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The crankcase is not breathing at all, all you have is the PCV system pulling vacuum, but no fresh air to replace what the PCV system is pulling. Someone either routed the hoses wrong, or plugged off the fresh air inlet for the crankcase. I've seen this a few times before, exactly...
Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with an 87 ford tempo that I inherited from my brother while in college. It sounded like I had whistle tips on the car as I drove down the street. It was a bad PCV valve. Don't let it go too long because your system is over pressurized and pulling too much vacum, which can't be good for your rings.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

what should I do about it? I see the two line that are supposed to be coming from the throttle body they arent hooked up and I cant see where they should go let me correct that I see the two fittings that the hoses are supposed to be on but there are no hoses and where do they go from there
Old 05-11-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

take a picture and show us.

there should be a hose that goes from the front of the passenger valvecover to the top passenger side of the thrtottle body

there should be another hose that comes from the rear of the two valvecovers, loops around the passenger side of the intake, comes up, goes through a pcv valve and then enters the passenger neck of the intake.