Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what kind of power are you making w/ rear mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of power are you making w/ rear mount?

I'm looking to do a rear mount here soon and I was curious to see what all power you guys are making out of a stock ls1 block and with a rear mount? I'm going to look at a 70mm custom set up
Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm trying to decide whether to do a front or rear set up might do front just cause all the damn piping
Old 05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GO front mount !!! Im dissin the rear mount I have one, But its far from a sts. I had alot of fab work done. Now Im a little pist at Kentucky turbo because they just lowerd their price on the hot parts and I just spent more money on the rear mount. Oh by the way I did 620-630 on 7 psi. But I have a 4xx heads,cam all that ****.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

im assuming this is phil...and if it is this is erik. you know my opinion on the issue. i told you i would help you all along the way with a front mount. you just need to decide what c.i. and what type of power you want to make.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

i plan on following this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/891222-turbo-install-starts-tomorrow.html
Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by borninatransam
im assuming this is phil...and if it is this is erik. you know my opinion on the issue. i told you i would help you all along the way with a front mount. you just need to decide what c.i. and what type of power you want to make.

haha damn sanford people are everywhere what are you doing tuesday i might have to come down and see whats going on. Stock engine and like 6/8 lbs of boost. looking for something streetable but nasty when it needs to be. I'll prob look at a 70mm turbo. change all the valve springs blah blah blah and head bolts. I'd like to make 400-600
Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have a STS as well. If I were to do it again (knowing what I know now) I'd probably do a front-mount. My reasoning for this is that a rear mount has a lot of little bugs (mainly oil return issues) that have to be addressed to get things functioning properly. I like my STS and it makes good power, but I have enough $$ in it to rival a front mount setup The STS is also loud.....exhaust, turbo whine, etc. Everyone within a 1/2 mile radius will know you've got a turbo.

Concerning power....boost is boost. Some might disagree with my statement, but 1PSI is approx 22HP on a LS1. The engine doesn't care if that PSI comes from the front or the rear of the car I put down 453RWHP (SAE) on 5PSI and a stock bottom end with a conservative 11.0 to 1 AFR. A front mount at 5PSI on a stock shortblock w/ similiar AFR wouldn't be much different. Boost lag can be a bit more on a rear mount; a rear mount really needs a couple hits on the gas to "heat" the exhaust for optimal power. Detriments vs a front-mount....maybe.....but also things I've gotten used to.

In the end the choice is yours. Think you'll be happy with boost no matter what end it comes from. Just my $0.02
Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man was ours sts or custom?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksskid07
thanks man was ours sts or custom?
Mines a "true" STS....but I've added a FMIC, TRT under-axle intake pipe, totally reworked the wiring harness (the stock STS one is downright stupid in the placement of the relays), re-did the pressure switch, changed the PCV routing, etc. Not much left on the system is stock as a result. Also have the GT67 turbine upgrade. Will soon be re-routing the oil return to the pan too. Stock is into the oil filler cap. Another dumb idea.....it seeps a little under full boost and ends out getting oil film on the coils/valve cover.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schantin
Mines a "true" STS....but I've added a FMIC, TRT under-axle intake pipe, totally reworked the wiring harness (the stock STS one is downright stupid in the placement of the relays), re-did the pressure switch, changed the PCV routing, etc. Not much left on the system is stock as a result. Also have the GT67 turbine upgrade. Will soon be re-routing the oil return to the pan too. Stock is into the oil filler cap. Another dumb idea.....it seeps a little under full boost and ends out getting oil film on the coils/valve cover.

What does the pressure switch do?

What did you do for your PCV? Were you having problems with it?

I am doing a custom one on my RX7. I ran the rear holes of both valve covers into a catch can and then a line all the way back to the filter side of the turbo for vacuum. For the front tube on the valve cover I ran it through a check valve to the passenger side throttle body inlet.

It's ready but I haven't started it yet to know if it all works.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
Stock is into the oil filler cap. Another dumb idea.....it seeps a little under full boost and ends out getting oil film on the coils/valve cover.
Mine did that on the stock motor, the solution was much easier than relocating the return to the oil pan, I zip tied the oil cap on and that solved the problem.

The real issue is blow bye past the rings, not much you can do about it. The more boost you run on a stock engine the more pressure you end up with in the crank case. On my built short block I have total seal rings and have zero issues with the oil return to the oil cap (no zip ties any more). Well, there was this one time I added a quart of oil and forgot to put the cap back on and drove a mile... what a mess.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Im running the GT70 on a stock LS2 with just springs and pushrods and am making just a little over 600 wheel.

Quick Reply: what kind of power are you making w/ rear mount?