General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Have a Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have a Brake Issue

Put new pads on back today, and turned the back rotors. Couldn't turn the fronts (not enough there to turn, so new rotors are in order for the front). Put the old rotors and pads back on the front for now (til I can get new rotors). Issues:
1) Now the brake pedal in more spongy than before.
2) The left front brake (which had the worst rotor of all, but never made any noise) is now grinding even when not under braking. Obviously, the pad is riding right on the rotor for some reason.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. FYI, I did NOT bleed any brake fluid from the system during the entire process, so I don't know how I could have possibly gotten air in the system.

Last edited by Firehawk#286; 05-24-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't figure how your pedal could feel spongy without having disturbed any of the lines, I would double check all the bleeders and check for damaged/leaking lines, maybe one got cracked when you were moving the calipers around.

As for the grinding noise, I would make sure the caliper slides move freely. How bad off is the rotor? Maybe before you took it apart the pad was sitting in just such a way as to not produce this noise, and putting it back together left it in a slightly different position.

It's funny you mention this because I just changed he pads on my daily driver and I have the same grinding noise they were making before the new pads, but only when applying the brakes.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula413
I can't figure how your pedal could feel spongy without having disturbed any of the lines, I would double check all the bleeders and check for damaged/leaking lines, maybe one got cracked when you were moving the calipers around.

As for the grinding noise, I would make sure the caliper slides move freely. How bad off is the rotor? Maybe before you took it apart the pad was sitting in just such a way as to not produce this noise, and putting it back together left it in a slightly different position.

It's funny you mention this because I just changed he pads on my daily driver and I have the same grinding noise they were making before the new pads, but only when applying the brakes.
Well, I think you might have just hit on something there. I pulled the two fronts again, and sure enough, LF had one of the caliper sliding pins ceased up in the caliper, and the RF had both pins ceased.

Anyone have a good method for dislodging caliper pins?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

--Bump--
Help!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try going to your local Autozone/Advance Auto Parts/whatever and see if they have any loaner tools that might be of use.