Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rear Wheel Hub and stud removal - Need Help! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Wheel Hub and stud removal - Need Help! (pics)

I got as far as removing the rear caliper and rotor and pounding loose the broken wheel stud. Now my problem has become obvious, what do I need to do to loosten that hub away from the gear so I can remove the old stud and install a new one? The only way that I can see is if I pull the axle out.. and I really don't want to do that. I am hoping that maybe there is something I'm just over looking. I need some input from you guys!

If the vehicle will need the axle shaft removed. How much am I looking at spending for everything at a mechanic?

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-24-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey96
I got as far as removing the rear caliper and rotor and pounding loose the broken wheel stud. Now my problem has become obvious, what do I need to do to loosten that hub away from the gear so I can remove the old stud and install a new one? The only way that I can see is if I pull the axle out.. and I really don't want to do that. I am hoping that maybe there is something I'm just over looking. I need some input from you guys!

If the vehicle will need the axle shaft removed. How much am I looking at spending for everything at a mechanic?

Thanks, Joe
You dont need to remove anyhting, you can install a new stud with everything intact...
Old 05-25-2008, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also remove the ABS sensor to make things a little easier
Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did a quick search for "replacing studs" and came up with this thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/848436-help-replacing-studs-what-do-i-do-next-pics-inside.html

that should help as it has really good pics in it.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I am attempting to post pictures but the system won't let me upload.

The problem is that the gear (with teeth) which is located behind the hub, is in the way. There is not enough room to wiggle the bolt out and put in a new one. If I were to pull the sensor the gear would still be in the way.

The set-up on my car looks a lot different than the pictures in the thread that sixvi6-camaro posted. Of course that repair was done on an LS1 T/A. Is there a difference in the rear axle set-up between an LT1 and LS1?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reluctor ring (looks like a gear) only partially blocks the stud. the pics on the link I posted show the ring there as well. Only the brakes are different on the LT1 vs LS cars. The ring, axles and such are the same on both. I've changed studs on both cars and its not been a problem just taping the stud past the teeth on the reluctor ring. the teeth on the reluctor ring don't actually contact anything so it won't hurt the ring if you scrap the teeth up a little. Even if you pull the axle completely the ring would still get a scraped up to change the studs. Really the proper way to change the studs would be to pull the axles, press the reluctor rings off, press the studs out, then press the new studs, follwed by the reluctor ring. then reassemble.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have non-oem rear-end, take the axle off, it takes a few minutes as there's only four bolts holding the whole axle on the car. If you rear-end is OEM, then I'd still remove the whole thing as you're going to have to press the bolt in anyways. I suppose the worst part would be taking the rear-cover off and spilling fluid all over yourself.

Do not pull the stud in with a lug-nut unless you can do it with less then 100 ft/lbs (which I don't think you'll be able to do).
Old 05-25-2008, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

It can be done with your lug nut as long as you buy a stud install tool which is pretty much a bearing for the lug nut to spin on... I got mine from my local mac tool guy
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
The reluctor ring (looks like a gear) only partially blocks the stud. the pics on the link I posted show the ring there as well. Only the brakes are different on the LT1 vs LS cars. The ring, axles and such are the same on both. I've changed studs on both cars and its not been a problem just taping the stud past the teeth on the reluctor ring. the teeth on the reluctor ring don't actually contact anything so it won't hurt the ring if you scrap the teeth up a little. Even if you pull the axle completely the ring would still get a scraped up to change the studs. Really the proper way to change the studs would be to pull the axles, press the reluctor rings off, press the studs out, then press the new studs, follwed by the reluctor ring. then reassemble.
I use a cut off wheel to clearance the back side of the stud where it would touch the ring and then slightly grind on my bench grinder a small section so it slides right back in without touching the ring at all... Sorry no pictures but I have installed those studs on a few cars.... Ive done both my T/As also

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Hub and stud removal - Need Help! (pics)