Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how good are MTI Stage II LS6 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how good are MTI Stage II LS6 heads?

I am looking at some LS6 heads for the near future, and I like MTI the best of all. But, this is a $4000 set of heads. Just how good are they? I know they have the best flow numbers, but that isn't everything. What kind of velocity do they have? Anybody have track times with these? All the dyno numbers I've seen are impressive. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Just how good are MTI Stage II LS6 heads?

PM Raughammer and ask him as he had MTI S2 LS1 heads and now has S2 LS6ers. I believe that he dropped a few tenths (dont quote me) with the LS6 heads and a new cam...so its hard to say how much was due to the heads. IMO, unless you are in search of the absolute last hp, LS6 heads on a 346 are just not worth it...now if you have LS6 cores then the decision is obvious.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about when the cam lift numbers exceed the .6" range. The dyno graph on MTIs web page really shows the ls6 heads running away in the 550 + lift area.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of Absolute Speed Stage II LS6 heads that flow around 320cfm at .600 lift. They're every bit as good, possibly better than the MTI heads and they are $3100 WITH core charge as quoted on his website.... they make good power, you may want to check 'em out.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:58 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of Absolute Speed Stage II LS6 heads that flow around 320cfm at .600 lift. They're every bit as good, possibly better than the MTI heads and they are $3100 WITH core charge as quoted on his website.... they make good power, you may want to check 'em out.
What makes you say they are better. Check out the N/A cars that are running the best times on this site. You'll notice MTI has among the fastest cars here. For example, the Colonel's, Raughhammer, PAIN, Nineball, etc... I know they don't have their flow numbers attached to their sigs., they've just got their ET's to back them up.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

MTI Stage 2 5.7L LS1 Heads, X1 cam...full bolt ons thru A4 and stock 323's netted 11.2 @ 3500lbs....

Check members page Kris Josey
http://www.motorsporttech.com/custom.../kjosey01.html
Old 08-10-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it gets any better than MTI LS6 heads (well, until you go to C5R heads!)

Track times with 'em? I went 9.82 NA with a hydraulic cam and LS6 heads.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

I have a set of MTI's LS6 heads and have been dying to get to the dyno just no time yet. Although I still need suspension, basic bolt-ons and tunning I still would like to see what gain I made since my last pull. Also, I can't wait to go to the track this month. Yes, I'm a newbie to racing, that probably helps explain my *** backwards build of my car. :p Oh I almost forgot, MTI is the best in my opinion But the real reason I bought these heads was to help take advantage of the lift later on when I go bigger cubes...
Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

The MTI heads are so-so... I prefer the MMS stage 2 5.3l heads for $1750, lol.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put a post up not to long ago asking for dyno results using mti stg2 heads and only 3 guys replied with so-so numbrs,I dont know why people say they are the best when there is not alot of big numbers with them. The colonel ran good with them but I to would like to see more results for that kind of money. Gtp's have alot of results and they are outstanding, I havent seen that many absolute ls6 heads but there ls1 and 5.3l heads seem preety good. Seems alot of guys have the mti's on there larger cube engines, if you are going with larger cubes maybe they are the best for it, well I guess I didnt help you that much but good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Launching!

I can't believe average folks want to spend $4000 on a set of cylinder heads.

I don't care who made them.

I'd watch what Air Flow Research does in the next 6 months, wait for Patriot to post track times and more dyno numbers or hook up with JPR.

If you play your cards right, you should be able to hook up with a set of Stage 2 LS6 heads for $2000. Now, the REAL question is:

What can I do with the car for the $2000 difference?

Beefy tranny rebuild + clutch or converter.

8.8" rear end.

100% suspension makeover.

Etc...

I am on a budget that limits my monetary input inot this hobby, as many of us are. I can't afford to lay out an extra $2000 for a gain that will be dubious at best. Lots of folks here will kill lots of electrons trying to justify these heads or taking shots at them.

My take on it is this:

Either get your pricing back in line with reality and end the "it's an LS1 so we're gonna rape them" mentality, or folks like Patriot and especially AFR and Edelbrock are going to wipe you out.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't believe average folks want to spend $4000 on a set of cylinder heads.

I don't care who made them.

I'd watch what Air Flow Research does in the next 6 months, wait for Patriot to post track times and more dyno numbers or hook up with JPR.

If you play your cards right, you should be able to hook up with a set of Stage 2 LS6 heads for $2000. Now, the REAL question is:

What can I do with the car for the $2000 difference?

Beefy tranny rebuild + clutch or converter.

8.8" rear end.

100% suspension makeover.

Etc...

I am on a budget that limits my monetary input inot this hobby, as many of us are. I can't afford to lay out an extra $2000 for a gain that will be dubious at best. Lots of folks here will kill lots of electrons trying to justify these heads or taking shots at them.

My take on it is this:

Either get your pricing back in line with reality and end the "it's an LS1 so we're gonna rape them" mentality, or folks like Patriot and especially AFR and Edelbrock are going to wipe you out.
I long for the day that Jayson @ MTI posts up- " SALE on everything we have!!! It all just dropped 50% on total price!! "
I belive this will be happening alot sooner than one might think. Either that or -
" Going out of buisness sale! All parts, equipment and dyno up for sale- come get it before the bank does!"
Old 08-11-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

PacerX, why in the world would MTI have any interest in dropping their prices when there's a waiting list on their stuff at the current prices? That wouldn't make good business sense. It's not about "raping" the LS1 public. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and making them pay the price. They can take it or leave it. It's about supply and demand. The demand for MTI products are HIGH! ...Anybody wanna guess why?

MTI isn't cheap but you get what you pay for, IMO. With MTI...

You DON'T have to worry about whether it will make the claimed power.
You DON'T have to worry about "Could I be making better power with another company's product?"
And perhaps the most important one...You DON'T have to worry about whether they will stand behind their product in the off chance that there is a failure. Their reputation in that department is undeniable.

MTI isn't for everyone...neither is Porsche...but for some, "there is no substitute."
Old 08-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Badass pool player

I long for the day that Jayson @ MTI posts up- " SALE on everything we have!!! It all just dropped 50% on total price!! "
I belive this will be happening alot sooner than one might think. Either that or -
" Going out of buisness sale! All parts, equipment and dyno up for sale- come get it before the bank does!"

Yeah, OK. Put down the crack pipe and come back to reality slowly as it may be a painful experience for you.

Do you have any idea the volume of work that MTI does in a month or how many motors they build for customers all across the world (not just the U.S, they ship quite a bit of product internationally as well). They're doing more work now than ever before and have just finished a huge upgrade on the shop (new lifts, floors redone, etc)

Going out of business? Not quite, but thanks for the uninformed viewpoint, I had a pretty good laugh at your expense.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Guys these pissing contests are irritating.

Everyone has their favorite vendor but please keep it clean.

BTW flow numbers from many of the sponsors are within 2-5cfm of each other. Do some research and make your choice on what makes you feel comfortable...

thanks,
Chris
Old 08-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Badass pool player

Sorry Chris. Just had to chime in and make my opinion known.

Will try to play nicer in the future.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, sorry Chris!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, OK. Put down the crack pipe and come back to reality slowly as it may be a painful experience for you.

Do you have any idea the volume of work that MTI does in a month or how many motors they build for customers all across the world (not just the U.S, they ship quite a bit of product internationally as well). They're doing more work now than ever before and have just finished a huge upgrade on the shop (new lifts, floors redone, etc)

Going out of business? Not quite, but thanks for the uninformed viewpoint, I had a pretty good laugh at your expense.
I wasn't being serious- I was being fecesious. Yes, MTI is the Porsche of LS1's, but I do believe that they and several other vendors have driven this high price market for last few years. With TEA, AS and Patriot, there is a light at the end of the tunnel for the regular guy to mod their cars. I think it's great that the Colonel defends MTI and many you hold them in such heigh regard, but I think that companies like TEA, AS and Patriot need to keep them in check. If I remember correctly a few months ago Jayson set a precedent when he put their stage II heads on "sale" for $2400 and the sales manager quit. I'm sure buisness was booming over there when all this occured.
Hey Colonel- what's the latest on you super dooper ultra mega kill 'em all motor that MTI was building?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

If I remember correctly a few months ago Jayson set a precedent when he put their stage II heads on "sale" for $2400 and the sales manager quit
Those two events had nothing to do with eachother. Since the former Sales Manager quit, the new Sales Manager has increased sales by over $100,000 per month for the last two months. They have a real seller at MTI now.

BTW, the current MTI backlog on stroker engine packages is 16 engines. I think they are doing okay. I'll be picking up my new forged 348ci MTI engine and heads for the '69 this week.

Tony
Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I remember correctly a few months ago Jayson set a precedent when he put their stage II heads on "sale" for $2400 and the sales manager quit
Those two events had nothing to do with eachother. Since the former Sales Manager quit, the new Sales Manager has increased sales by over $100,000 per month for the last two months. They have a real seller at MTI now.

BTW, the current MTI backlog on stroker engine packages is 16 engines. I think they are doing okay. I'll be picking up my new forged 348ci MTI engine and heads for the '69 this week.

Tony
Whats the status on the Colonel's motor?

Quick Reply: Just how good are MTI Stage II LS6 heads?