General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird problems with 00 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problems with 00 3.8L

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this...

For the past few months, I've had some strange electrical problems. It started out with my front passenger turn signal bulb blowing out constantly. It recently melted the socket after i replaced the bulb.

It then went to a weird grinding noise directly in front of the steering area. I can hear it when i first turn the key on for a few seconds then it stops. When I hear it, the power windows and radio will not work. A few seconds or minutes usually after starting to drive they start working.

I can sometimes go days with no problems, but then suddenly it will start occurring constantly. I'll be driving down the road and the radio will just start losing power and powering up repeatedly.

Tonight, the problems got even worse. Out of no where, the car alarm started going off. I went outside to see if anyone was messing with the car and no one was around. When I hit the unlock button on my remote, it made 2 chirps as if the car had been bumped. I reset the lock and 2 to 3 seconds later the alarm went off again.

I ended up having to just lock the door manually and not use the remote. Every time I use the remote, the alarm goes off now.

No idea what the hech is going on. Any ideas or suggestions of where to start looking would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check fuses...if there good you probably have a exposed or crossed wire somewhere
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car isn't orange and black is it? if so, you have my old car which was doing some of the same ****.

burn it.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:18 PM

nope... pewter

odd thing is this morning when i posted this.. the alarm started going off out of nowhere. i went out and had to manually lock the driver door to be able to lock it.

i went out a few minutes ago and hit the lock on the remote, and now it work.

the car hasn't been touched....

i'm ready to just trade it in!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

this may not help, but when my battery cable was loose my alarm started going off randomly
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate wire gremlins.. My 86 corolla has some weird issues like that also. Like sometimes whenever I turn on my right blinker the door buzzer starts to go off WTF!! lol.. Also when I turn the headlights on the idle goes up. Sometimes the car just looses all power and wont start. Its weird, but a guy I know said its possible to be an "in line" fuse of something like that. I think thats what he said.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For the alarm thing, it is possibly the shock sensor on the rear passenger wheelwell on the inside near the spare. Sometimes those go bad and make the alarm go off because it thinks it got shook up.

As far as blowing bulbs, check the housing, if it is leaking water it'll blow bulbs a lot.

Not sure about the rest. Check your fusebox wiring, make sure all the fuses are tight and the wires are tight.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

They're like women...I think she's just pissed off at you dude. WTF did you do??? You may want to consider the last mod on line 4 of my sig.