Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heatwave and 91 octane gas equal no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heatwave and 91 octane gas equal no power

Here in Southern Ca it's been in the 90's-100's and my car is a total dog in this heat. I can't even get a chirp into second or and it feels like v6. I had a friend autotap the car a couple weeks ago but only for about 15-20 mins and was only able to go wot a few times and only for a few seconds. I didn't have any kr during that testing. I am thinking about getting a predator but am not sure if I can cheak for kr, timing, a/f with those? I don't have the dough for a laptop and autotap or for custom tuning. Any idea's?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: heatwave and 91 octane gas equal no power

Get rid of your throttle body heat, and put in a 160 T-stat with lowered fan on temperatures.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in So Cal also, I use timing tricker. Have to or my car is a dog. For me it was a timing issue. Now it runs strong like on a cold winter day.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

What size resisters should I try? This is only a experiment to see if it runs any diferent.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try a 4.7k. Higher ohms = more timing advance. In this hot weather we are having I would'nt go any higher. In winter I can go as high as an 5.9k. It will take a few days for the pcm to adjust so give it a chance. If you set off the KR sensors so what, they just pull away enough advance so it won't ping. And remember, every time you put in 5 gal. or more of fuel it resets to full advance again. Hope it works for you.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

And remember, every time you put in 5 gal. or more of fuel it resets to full advance again. Hope it works for you.
Didn't know the PCM looks at how much fuel you add. I wonder why it would need to do that? I use various octane fuel either 97 or 99 ron to see if I can get rid of the SES light coming on. As the car is in England UK I had to change the rear lights to have amber indicators, now i have reverted back to the states rear lights and now my SES light dosn't come on as often. Got too many variables going on here so will look at things in EFI Live. Handy to know about the PCM monitoring fuel, its another thing I can add to all these variables going on.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

If the PCM sees knock, it assumes you got a bad load of fuel; then it waits for the next fill up to revert back to full timing.