Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned (so far) from Pacesetter LT/TSP TD install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned (so far) from Pacesetter LT/TSP TD install

Hey guys. Finally back from Iraq!

And of course, the first priority is to awesomify my car more! Just a few things I thought I'd share, and also a few questions about my Pacesetter LT/TSP TD install.

-I think this has been said before, but let me footstomp it - a 12$ 10mm ratchet wrench will save your life in this install. Do NOT go in without it.

-Everyone I spoke to said I needed to unbolt the steering knuckle for the driver's side - I didn't have to, all I did was hammer in the body a bit on the underside, where it was too narrow for the header to squeeze through. Popped right in!

-YES, change your spark plugs while you are under here, God it is so much easier - and whatever the **** else you need to change or install for that matter. I just had new motor mounts put in, so I was good there - but I did see how it would have been real easy.

-Yes, get the car as high as possible. I was fortunate enough to have access to a full lift, which made things infinitely easier.

-Bolts towards the back of the engine = PAIN IN THE ***. Have a full set of extensions and wobblies ready, you will use them.

-You're gonna get filthy.

-Last but not least - if you've never done this before like me, you had better have the time to do it! I'm seven hours into it, and the on-base hobby shop closed before I could finish, so I have to finish tomorrow. The driver's side header is on 100%, and the passenger side one is in, bolts just need to be torqued. From there it's just putting everything back onto the engine I took off and slapping the TD on.

And now the questions I have!

-Can I rip out the A.I.R. tube and put some kind of cap on the ports on the headers? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem useless.

-I was trying to put in the second spark plug from the front left, and I dropped it, and I cannot find the ************ for the life of me! Where the hell could it be? 'Cause it's not on the floor! O_o

-My rear header bolts (Closest to the tranny) came undone a hell of a lot easier than the rest. Normal or something to be worried about?

A special thanks to all the misc. info I picked up here on LS1tech before I dug in, thank you guys!

And remember, every time someone puts LTs on an LS1, baby Jesus cries.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back! Glad you made it home.

On my driver side, I just cut the casting tab off the block instead of hammering anything. but either way works!

So you bought the headers with emissions?? It would have been easier to bought the "race" version...but here is a trick if you still have your stock AIR pipes. The ends that bolt to the headers...get a cutting tool and cut the pipe off. There you go! Homemade block off plates. But wait, still has a hole in the middle?? No problem...Use a penny! Haha, I like to use change, but a scrap piece of metal laying around will work to...use the stock bolts to bolt it.

But, don't forget to take out all of the other AIR tubes and pump...and if your car is 01-02 there will be a tube on the back of the intake that needs capped...not sure of the other years.

Sometimes stock header bolts are loser than others..no big deal..as long as you tightened them back down! You might want to check the bolts after a 100 miles to make sure they didn't back out.

Lost spark plug? Eh, it'll work its way out, just do what I do and leave it..
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

maybe the plug is resting in your motor mount somewhere? use the magnetic thing and wave it around lol
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem with my spark plug. Stand by the passenger front fender, lean over a little and look at an angle by the starter and ****. Theres a nice little cubby that it falls into there. I used a magnetic pen extender thing to get it out. GL and glad to see you back!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

gona tackel mine tom, should be fun!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcome back and advice, guys. =D

Oh, yeah! - for the record...another thing you shouldn't do is leave a can of WD-40 under one of the lift legs.

I lowered my car, and it started leaning to one side, and naturally I'm all "wtf?" so I raise it, and lower it again - and there's this loud-*** explosion in the shop, and everyone freaks out. Of course, the explosion was the can of WD-40 as it was crushed underneath the leg. Funniest **** ever, if not a little embarrassing. WD-40 everywhere.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Angry

Alright, TDs are in, and I started her up and went for a little test drive. I got some issues. >.o

-Is it normal for there to be some smoke on the first startup after a header install? I had some, and I couldn't quite place the smell. It wasn't oil or steam.

-The car is idling really roughly now. Especially after coming to a stop while driving, like at a red light, the car will hang at like 2-2.5k for a while before gradually declining back to idle RPMs.

-Holy crap, WHERE are you guys hanging the pipes in a TSP TD install? I can't come up with a good solution!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PyroFox04
Alright, TDs are in, and I started her up and went for a little test drive. I got some issues. >.o

-Is it normal for there to be some smoke on the first startup after a header install? I had some, and I couldn't quite place the smell. It wasn't oil or steam.

-The car is idling really roughly now. Especially after coming to a stop while driving, like at a red light, the car will hang at like 2-2.5k for a while before gradually declining back to idle RPMs.

-Holy crap, WHERE are you guys hanging the pipes in a TSP TD install? I can't come up with a good solution!
Yes, the smoke and smell is normal.. That is my favorite part of header installs..yummy!

The car should not idle rough..you fudged something up
Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Yes but what did I fudge up?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

This sounds oddly familiar. I also did mine at the on base hobby shop and didn't get it all done in one day, and also had one header on and the other in place when they closed, lol.

are you using 4 O2 sensors with cats? check what O2 sensors you DO have and make sure they are good, might be the cause of your idle issue. Throwing any codes?

About where to mount up the duals... I had some rods welded to my bullets running along them, then bent upward at about a 45 degree angle with some adapters so that they could be bolted to the backs of the rear seats. It's not perfect, but it works. Once you have the time, take out the back seats and carpeting and put some nuts and bolts in instead of sheetmetal screws. or, if you already have the seats out and carpet out, weld it in place.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit22
This sounds oddly familiar. I also did mine at the on base hobby shop and didn't get it all done in one day, and also had one header on and the other in place when they closed, lol.

are you using 4 O2 sensors with cats? check what O2 sensors you DO have and make sure they are good, might be the cause of your idle issue. Throwing any codes?

About where to mount up the duals... I had some rods welded to my bullets running along them, then bent upward at about a 45 degree angle with some adapters so that they could be bolted to the backs of the rear seats. It's not perfect, but it works. Once you have the time, take out the back seats and carpeting and put some nuts and bolts in instead of sheetmetal screws. or, if you already have the seats out and carpet out, weld it in place.

I'm using two front O2s with sims in the back ones.

Yeah, I tried the sheet metal screws, they popped out, I guess I didn't do them right. Nuts and bolts, here I come! I was actually trying to do that, but I can't find the hole I drilled on the other side. >.o
Old 06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

As long as he reused his stock sensors and didn't smack them with a hammer, nothing with them would have changed....

Unless he tried to make his own sensor extensions and messed up with the wiring.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Teching In

No, got the O2 extensions from TSP.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Check your wires, I burned the hell outa mine on the headers.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Check your wires, I burned the hell outa mine on the headers.
I'll check 'em when I put the car on the lift tomorrow to do the hanging. In case that is the issue, what did you do to mitigate that?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

I used some exhaust strap and a nut and bolt, put it threw the rear seatbelt (the female side not the male, on the tunnel brace) and it holds fine.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Okay!

A lasting question I have, because I fixed everything else. Sounds orgasmic by the way. Like a V8 Camaro is supposed to.

My clinging problem is, I keep throwing code P0171, "Bank 1, system too lean", and the car still idles roughly. Am I really running lean or is it the O2 sensor, or the O2 simulators in the rear plugs causing the issue? Do I need a tune?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Teching In

An amendment to this issue I still need to solve...

Since the header install, all my O2 sensors have been going crazy. Then, sometimes all the trouble codes will disappear for a while, then come back. WTF?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this thread is old, but put in some Vette rear o2's. The diffeence in the heating element inside compensates for the heat lost going from the stock iron manifolds near the heads.